Bochum captain Anthony Losilla secured a 1-0 win for his side at fellow strugglers Greuther Fürth, who remain without a win and rooted to the bottom of the Bundesliga table.
The hosts made two changes to the side that lost to Cologne before the international break, while Bochum brought five new faces in from the XI that were beaten by RB Leipzig. The first half was a cagey affair, with neither wanting to overcommit for fear of a defeat that could have a major say on their top-flight futures. Fürth did look the more in control early on, but it was the visitors who were presented with the first real sight of goal as Sebastian Polter was picked out in the box, but his left-footed strike flew over the bar from eight yards out. That was about it in terms of first half goalmouth action, with nothing separating the Bundesliga's bottom two teams at the break.
Bochum, three points better off than their hosts before kick-off, started the second period with the greater intent but Greuther's defence was up to the task and largely comfortable when dealing with the away side's threat. It emboldened the Cloverleaves, who grew into the game the longer it wore on and if captain Branimir Hrgota's touch had been better then he may have truly tested Manuel Riemann when played in down the side of the Bochum box on the hour mark. At the other end, second-half substitute Takuma Asano should have broken the deadlock 10 minutes later but could only sweep into the side netting when one-on-one with Marius Funk. It looked as if the game would head to a fairly limp goalless draw as a result until, with 10 minutes remaining, Bochum skipper Losilla nodded home from close range to move his team out of the relegation places and leave Fürth six points adrift of outright safety.
- This was the first meeting between Fürth and Bochum in the Bundesliga, and 936th different fixture in German top-flight history.
- Only five of the previous 27 fixtures between the clubs have ended in a home win.
- Fürth, meanwhile, have still never won a Bundesliga match at home. This was their 21st attempt.
- Greuther are yet to keep a clean sheet this season, while Bochum notched up their third shutout of the campaign.
- Losilla's winner was his first Bundesliga goal.
- While Fürth remain winless after eight matches this term, Bochum's first away victory of 2021/22 is their second win of the season.
Fürth: Funk - Meyerhöfer, Sarpei, Viergever, Willems (Itter 83') - Seguin, Griesbeck, Dudziak (Green 67') - Tillman (Leweling 72') - Itten (Abiama 72'), Hrgota (c)
Unused subs: Burchert, Hoogma, Seufert, Christiansen, Barry
Out: Bauer (concussion), Jung (knee), Ngankam (knee), Nielsen (ankle)
Coach: Stefan Leitl
Bochum: Riemann - Gamboa, Masovic, Lampropoulos, Soares - Losilla (c) - Pantovic (Asano 62'), Löwen (Stafylidis 88'), Rexhbecaj, Holtmann (Blum 62') - Polter (Novothny 90+3')
Unused subs: Esser, Decarli, Osterhage, Antwi-Adjei, Bella Kotchap
Out: Bockhorn (thigh), Leitsch (thigh), Tesche (hip), Zoller (knee)
Coach: Thomas Reis