Christopher Nkunku followed up Andre Silva's goal off the bench with a brace as RB Leipzig ground down Bochum on their way to a 3-0 win.
Grappling with their worst ever start to a Bundesliga season, Leipzig seized the early iniative at the Red Bull Arena. Josko Gvardiol warmed the palms of Manuel Riemann, before VAR overturned a penalty decision following a coming together between Herbert Bockhorn and Yussuf Poulsen. Emil Forsberg tested Riemann and fired against the crossbar, with Poulsen denied by the Bochum goalkeeper's outstretched boot moments later. Presentable openings came and went for Poulsen and Nkunku as Leipzig went in at the break having done everything but score.
That changed in the second period, but not until the 69th-minute introduction of Dominik Szoboszlai and Silva. The duo combined to break the deadlock within 42 seconds of being on the pitch. Silva then sent Nkunku through to make it a quick-fire Leipzig double with a sensational dinked finish over Riemann. The Frenchman completed his brace for the second week in a row before the 80th minute was up, lobbing Gvardiol's raking pass over Riemann to put the seal on Leipzig's third Bundesliga win of the Jesse Marsch era.
- Nkunku has scored nine goals in 10 competitive games this season, including five in the Bundesliga.
- Silva scored his second Bundesliga goal since joining Leipzig from Eintracht Frankfurt.
- Ilaix Moriba made his Bundesliga debut.
- Marsch has overseen back-to-back wins for the first time as Leipzig head coach.
- Bochum have the third leakiest defence in the Bundesliga after seven rounds of fixtures (16 goals against).
- VfL last won away in the Bundesliga on 16 January 2010.
Watch: Silva: "We deserved to win"
Leipzig: Gulacsi (c) - Klostermann, Simakan (Laimer 79'), Gvardiol - Adams, Haidara, Kampl (Moriba 79'), Angelino (Mukiele 61') - Nkunku, Forsberg (Szoboszlai 62') - Poulsen (Silva 62')
Unused subs: Martinez, Henrichs, Brobbey, Novoa
Out: Halstenberg (ankle), Olmo (thigh), Saracchi (knee)
Coach: Jesse Marsch
Bochum: Riemann - Bockhorn, Masovic, Bella-Kotchap, Soares - Tesche (Oesterhage 82'), Losilla (c), Rexhbecaj (Löwen 78') - Antwi-Adjei (Pantovic 78'), Asano (Blum 77'), Holtmann (Polter 73')
Unused subs: Esser, Lampropoulos
Out: Gamboa (elbow), Leitsch (thigh), Zoller (knee)
Coach: Thomas Reis