Bundesliga 2 final-day permutations: Promotion and relegation to be decided
One promotion spot to the Bundesliga has been taken by Darmstadt, meaning it's either Heidenheim or Hamburg to join them coming up. Relegation is also still to be confirmed on the final day in Germany's second division.
Click here for the full Bundesliga 2 table
It’s a case of two into one remaining automatic promotion spot between Heidenheim and Hamburg.
Darmstadt secured their return to the top flight at the third time of asking when they beat Magdeburg to end their six-year top-flight absence with a game to spare. A point on the final day at Greuther Fürth, or Heidenheim failing to win, will give them the title.
Heidenheim will be promoted away at Regensburg if:
- They equal or better Hamburg's result away at Sandhausen
- They lose by fewer than six goals and Hamburg draw at Sandhausen
Hamburg will be promoted away at Sandhausen if:
- They win and Heidenheim fail to beat Regensburg
- They draw and Heidenheim lose by six goals or more at Regensburg
Whichever of the aforementioned sides misses out on automatic promotion will go into a play-off with the side who finishes third from the bottom of the Bundesliga.
Watch: Darmstadt are back in the big time!
Sandhausen have already been relegated but can still finish 17th.
All teams sitting 15th and above are safe from automatic relegation. Those from 13th and up are safe from the relegation play-off.
Eintracht Braunschweig will be safe away at Hansa Rostock if:
- They win
- They equal or better Nuremberg's result at Paderborn
- They lose by no more than three goals more than Nuremberg at Paderborn
- Arminia Bielefeld fail to beat Magdeburg
Nuremberg will be safe away at Paderborn if:
- They win
- They better Braunschweig's result at Hansa Rostock
- Braunschweig lose at Rostock by three or more goals more than they do
- Arminia Bielefeld fail to beat Magdeburg.
Arminia Bielefeld will avoid automatic relegation away at Magdeburg if:
- They get a point
- They lose and Regensburg fail to beat Heidenheim to overturn a 15-goal difference
Bielefeld will be automatically safe if:
- They win and one of Nuremberg and Braunschweig do not win
Regensburg cannot achieve automatic safety and will only reach the play-off at home to Heidenheim if:
- They win and Arminia Bielefeld lose at Magdeburg with scores that achieve a 15-goal swing
Watch: Heidenheim edged closer to their dream, also relegating Sandhausen
Promotion to Bundesliga 2
Matchday 38 in the 3. Liga is also the final round of fixtures. The top two automatically come up to Bundesliga 2, while third place faces 16th of the second division in a two-legged play-off.
However, if Freiburg II finish in the top three, then those places will shift down one as reserve teams are not eligible to play in the Bundesliga or Bundesliga 2.
Elversberg secured promotion on Matchday 33.
One from Osnabrück, Wehen Wiesbaden, Saarbrücken and Dynamo Dresden will join them on the final day of the season, with all separated by only one point.
Which teams could be confirmed as down from the Bundesliga this weekend?
Welcome to Bundesliga 2, Elversberg!
Elversberg will be playing Bundesliga 2 football for the first time next season - but who exactly are the Saarland-based outfit?
Borussia Dortmund’s class of 2012: Where are they now?
bundesliga.com traces the paths of the men behind Dortmund's last title win...
Matchday 34 Fantasy sales
The cut-price bargains on offer in Bundesliga Fantasy ahead of the next matchday...