Andre Hahn and Niklas Dorsch scored second-half goals in Cologne to put some welcome breathing space between Augsburg and the relegation zone.
Anthony Modeste went close to ending a three-game barren spell, but headed over from Dejan Ljubicic's left-wing cross with the game's first chance. Augsburg's response was immediate as Hahn showed a great piece of control, before forcing a strong save out of Marvin Schwäbe from fully 20 yards. In-form Augsburg forward Michael Gregoritsch had a goal ruled out for offside and Daniel Caligiuri shot wide either side of a miscued Modeste header, while Ruben Vargas curled wide of the upright towards the end of a lively first half.
Cologne created quick-fire openings soon after the restart as Modeste scooped wide, before forcing Rafal Gikiewicz into a pair of fine stops with headers. Schwäbe responded in kind with a flying save to thwart Hahn's curling strike. Reece Oxford then got a crucial block in on a goal-bound effort from Benno Schmitz at the other end. Hahn headed a Gregoritsch cross wide, but made his next chance stick, applying the finishing touch to Vargas' cut-back after Schwäbe only got a hand to the delivery. Dorsch sealed the deal with a 25-yard stunner as Augsburg moved four points clear of the automatic drop zone.
- Augsburg ended a run of 13 away matches without a win going back to February.
- Cologne were the only unbeaten home team left in this season's Bundesliga.
- Hahn scored his second Bundesliga goal of the season, and second in nine career meetings with Cologne.
- Dorsch scored his second Bundesliga goal. His first fell in a Bayern Munich shirt, on his Bundesliga debut in May 2018.
- Modeste has gone more than three games without a Bundesliga goal for the first time this season.
- Cologne have failed to keep a clean sheet in any of their 15 Bundesliga games this season.
Watch: Dorsch discusses his wondergoal against Cologne
Cologne: Schwäbe – Schmitz (Mere 87'), Kilian, Czichos, Hector (c) – Özcan – Ljubicic, Duda, Kainz (Schaub 83') – Modeste, Andersson (Thielmann 83')
Unused subs: Urbig, Hübers, Ehizibue, J. Horn, Schindler, Olesen
Out: Hauptmann (illness), T. Horn (knee), Köbbing (knee), Ostrak (muscular), Skhiri (illness), Uth (illness)
Coach: Steffen Baumgart
Augsburg: Gikiewicz – Gumny, Gouweleeuw (c), Oxford, Iago – Caligiuri (Jensen 58'), Moravek (Pedersen 58'), Dorsch, Vargas (Sarenren Bazee 79') – Hahn (Framberger 90'+3), Gregoritsch (Cordova 79')
Unused subs: Koubek, Winther, Günther, Salifou
Out: Finnbogason (thigh), Maier (ill), Niederlechner (foot), Strobl (knee), Uduokhai (not included), Zeqiri (knock)
Coach: Markus Weinzierl