Marco Reus hit a brace as Borussia Dortmund narrowed the gap on Bayern Munich at the top of the Bundesliga with a 3-0 win at Union Berlin.
Dortmund knew a win would take them to within six points of Bayern at the top of the Bundesliga, and there was a notable spring in their step as they pressured Union from the get-go. Reus gave them the lead with a powerful shot past Andreas Luthe, and he added his and Dortmund's second just five minutes later, rounding Luthe and dispatching the ball into the back of the net. Donyell Malen missed chances to put Dortmund out of sight, with Union happy to hear the half-time whistle.
A Grischa Prömel header and two chances for Sheraldo Becker hinted at a Union revival at the start of the second half, and the hosts continued to ask the questions, albeit without finding the answer they wanted. Dortmund duly delivered the kind of response the hosts had been searching for with Jude Bellingham's cut-back fumbled out by Luthe to the feet of Raphael Guerreiro, who had an easy tap-in to make it three. Kevin Möhwald thought he had brought Die Eisernen straight back into the game, but his headed goal was ruled out by VAR for a foul in the build-up to the goal. Youssoufa Moukoko was almost gifted a fourth by Luthe, who hit his clearance against the Dortmund substitute, and Anthony Ujah wasted a chance for a consolation as Dortmund took the points they needed to narrow the gap on Bayern.
- Reus scored his 21st Bundesliga brace, more than two years after his last came in December 2019 against Fortuna Düsseldorf.
- Dortmund have now scored at least one goal in 53 of their last 54 Bundesliga games, the only exception being a 1-0 defeat to Borussia Mönchengladbach earlier this season.
- Christopher Trimmel became Union's all-time leading appearance maker in the Bundesliga, playing for the 79th time – one more than former teammate Marvin Friedrich.
- Guerreiro has scored in each of his past three games against Union.
- Union have lost at home to Dortmund for the first time, having won both their previous home meetings in the Bundesliga (2-1 and 3-1).
- By beating Union, Dortmund have now beaten every current Bundesliga side away from home.
Watch: Brandt: "Zagadou was our best player today"
Union: Luthe – Baumgartl, Knoche, Jaeckel – Trimmel (c) (Ryerson 78'), Öztunali (Möhwald 61'), Prömel, Oczipka – Becker (Schäfer 78'), Awoniyi (Behrens 61'), Michel (Ujah 72')
Unused subs: Rönnow, Haraguchi, Dehl, Abdullahi
Out: Gießelmann (not included), Heintz (not included), Khedira (suspended), Voglsammer (not included)
Coach: Urs Fischer
Dortmund: Kobel – Akanji, Hummels, Zagadou, Guerreiro (Schulz 89') – Dahoud (Can 73'), Witsel, Bellingham – Reus, Malen (Moukoko 81'), Reus (c) (Tigges 89')
Unused subs: Hitz, Reinier, Passlack, Pongracic
Out: Haaland (groin), Hazard (unknown), Meunier (knock), Morey (knee), Reyna (match fitness), Schmelzer (knee), Wolf (knock)
Coach: Marco Rose
Watch: Trimmel "proud" at becoming Union's record appearance maker
Fixture list release date set for 17 June
Get the lowdown on all of the important dates ahead of the fixture release for the forthcoming 2022/23 campaign.
Road to VBL Grand Final by bevestor: Everything you need to know
The 10th season in the bevestor Virtual Bundesliga is approaching its climax: The VBL Grand Final by Bevestor on June 4th and 5th!
Vote for your Bundesliga Goal of the Season!
Haaland, Gnabry, Nkunku, Bellingham or somebody else? Who scored your Bundesliga Goal of the Season in 2021/22?