Nuremberg breathed new life into their survival hopes, beating Augsburg 3-0 to end a run of 20 matches without a win and move off the bottom of the table.
Nuremberg 3-0 Augsburg
Goal: 1-0 Ishak (52’), 2-0 Pereira (88'), 3-0 Löwen (90+1')
The returning Michael Gregoritsch fired off the first effort of note, curling a free-kick narrowly past the angle of post and bar. Nuremberg threatened with a set-piece of their own, but Ewerton was unable to connect fully with Sebastian Kerk’s corner and Jeffrey Gouweleeuw was in the right place at the right time to clear. Kerk headed at Gregor Kobel moments later, but Augsburg ended the half the stronger with Christian Mathenia foiling Daniel Baier and Philipp Max, and Dong-Won Ji fluffing his lines from close range.
Tim Leibold and Ewerton combined to prevent Gregoritsch from going through on goal early in the second half, but the opener arrived moments later and it went the way of Nuremberg, with Mikael Ishak getting the telling touch on Kerk’s back-post free-kick. Gregoritsch did have the ball in the net in the 67th minute, but the Austrian’s effort was ruled out for an offside decision following consultation with Video Assist. Augsburg huffed and puffed, but Nuremberg were not about to pass up the opportunity to climb off the foot of the standings and to within four points of the relegation play-off spot. Late goals from Matheus Pereira and Eduard Löwen wrapped up a precious win.
- Nuremberg ended a run of 10 games without a win at their Max-Morlock-Stadion - a club record.
- Nuremberg's last win came against Fortuna Düsseldorf on 29 September (also 3-0).
- Nuremberg scored as many goals in this game as in their last seven combined.
- Pereira opened his Bundesliga account with his 17th goal attempt of the season.
- Ishak is Nuremberg's joint-top scorer on four goals. The Swede scored with his first effort on goal.
- Eight of Nuremberg's 22 Bundesliga goals this season have come from set-plays, but today was their first from a free-kick.
Nuremberg: Mathenia – Bauer, Mühl, Ewerton (Margreitter 54'), Leibold – Löwen, Erras – Kubo (Ilicevic 84'), Behrens (c), Kerk (Pereira 70') – Ishak
Unused subs: Bredlow, Knöll, Petrak, Tillman
Out: Lippert (knee), Valentini (thigh), Zrelak (cruciate ligament)
Coach: Boris Schommers
Augsburg: Kobel – Gouweleeuw, Khedira, Danso - Hahn, Baier (c) Koo (Cordova 78'), Max - Gregoritsch, Ji – Finnbogason (Richter 46')
Unused subs: Luthe, Moravek, Stanic, Janker, Teigl
Out: Framberger (knee), Giefer (ankle), Götze (unspecified), Oxford (flu), Schieber (muscular), Schmid (foot), Stafylidis (hamstring)
Coach: Manuel Baum