Harry Kane maintained his outstanding start to life at Bayern Munich by scoring a club-record ninth goal in his opening eight Bundesliga games as the defending champions saw off Mainz.
Mainz emerged as one of Bayern's bogey teams in recent seasons, the 05ers boasting victories in their previous three games against the record champions at the MEWA Arena. Looking to quickly snuff out any danger of their hosts' making it a fourth, Bayern broke to take the lead in the 11th minute. Leroy Sané and Kingsley Coman netted the goals in a 3-0 win against Freiburg on Matchday 7, and both were front and centre again here for their team's opener. Sané's pass for his lively teammate on the right led to a fine finish across the goalkeeper by Coman. Mainz stuck at it, yet when Sven Ulreich brilliantly clawed out Jae-Sung Lee's header at one end and Kane subsequently nodded in his ninth of the season at the other, home hopes looked doomed. Anthony Caci's wonder strike before the break would revive Die Nullfünfer's cause, however.
The next goal now likely crucial to the outcome, a couple of big moments in the space of a minute swung the game in Bayern's favour. Danny da Costa's fine run down the right led to a cut-back into the visiting area which Stefan Bell side-footed agonisingly wide. Moments later, Leon Goretzka punished that miss with a clinical control-and-finish from Jamal Musiala's tee-up that left goalkeeper Robin Zentner with no chance. Matthijs de Ligt was fortunate not to divert into his own net, while Brajan Gruda struck a post thereafter, but Bayern held on to keep VfB Stuttgart and leaders Bayer Leverkusen well within their sights in what is rapidly developing into a fascinating early title race.
Watch: Harry Kane enjoying life at Bayern
- Kane is the first player to score nine goals in the very first eight Bundesliga games for Bayern. Luca Toni and Miroslav Klose shared the previous club record with eight goals.
- Only three players managed Kane's feat quicker in the division: Erling Haaland, Paco Alcacer and Charly Dörfel.
- Thomas Müller celebrated his 323rd victory in his 449th Bundesliga game to set a new Bundesliga wins record, the Germany international edging ahead of teammate Manuel Neuer.
- Bayern scored in the opening quarter of an hour for the sixth time this Bundesliga season.
- The record champions have won 34 of their 35 games (drawing the other) when Coman has scored.
- Thomas Tuchel's men have scored at least one goal in their last 35 Bundesliga games. The last time the Bavarians failed to find the net in the top flight was against Augsburg on Matchday 7 last season.
Watch: NFL sweepstake - win tickets and legends meet & greet!
Mainz: Zentner (c) - Van den Berg, Bell (Onisiwo 84'), Fernandes (Krauß 76') - Da Costa, Barreiro, Kohr (Richter 76'), Caci (Leitsch 63') - Gruda, Lee (Barkok 63') - Ajorque
Unused subs: Rieß, Widmer, Guilavogui, Papela
Out: Burkardt (knee), El Ghazi (suspended), Hanche-Olsen (ankle), Mwene (knee), Weiper (hamstring)
Coach: Bo Svensson
Bayern: Ulreich - Laimer, De Ligt, Kim, Davies - Kimmich (c), Goretzka (Sarr 75') - Sané (Tel 77'), Musiala (Choupo-Moting 77'), Coman (Müller 88') - Kane
Unused subs: Peretz, Krätzig, Pavlovic
Out: Buchmann (thigh), Gnabry (fractured arm), Guerreiro (thigh), Neuer (match fitness), Upamecano (hamstring)
Coach: Thomas Tuchel
The Bundesliga top scorer race
Bayern's Harry Kane leads the likes of Guirassy, Sané and Boniface in the race to be the Bundesliga's Torjägerkönig.
Harry Kane's English record and the MD12 talking points
Harry Kane has already overtaken fellow Englishmen Kevin Keegan and Jadon Sancho for single-season top-flight goals in the Bundesliga, but there was plenty more to look out for in an action-packed Matchday 12…
Kane sets English scoring record in a Bundesliga season
Harry Kane has become the most prolific English goalscorer in a single season of Bundesliga football - on Matchday 12!