Philipp Max scored twice and Florian Niederlechner provided three assists as Augsburg recorded their fourth win in five league matches with a deserved 4-2 success away to Hoffenheim.
Augsburg went into the game unbeaten in their last four league matches, and it looked like that run would continue when Max fired the visitors into an 11th-minute lead. Florian Grillitsch's attempted clearance inadvertently played in Niederlechner, who picked out Max for a simple tap-in at the back post. Hoffenheim had already threatened through Sargis Adamyan, though, and were level within three minutes as Robert Skov thundered an unstoppable strike beyond the reach of Tomas Koubek from 18 yards. Hoffenheim dominated the remainder of the half, denying Augsburg a single shot on Oliver Baumann's goal, and perhaps should have gone in at the break with their noses in front, but Ihlas Bebou was unable to beat Koubek from close range.
Hoffenheim were made to pay for that missed chance soon after the restart. Kevin Akpoguma conceded a penalty for a rash challenge on Niederlechner, and Max made no mistake with the ensuing penalty for his second goal of the contest. It got worse still for Alfred Schreuder's side before the hour-mark when the effervescent Niederlechner released Fredrik Jensen, who poked under the advancing Baumann to bring up his first Bundesliga goal. After Andrej Kramaric bent a free-kick just wide, substitute Jürgen Locadia headed in from Skov to set up a grandstand finish, but Iago hit back almost immediately following a third Niederlechner assist to seal the win. The result takes Augsburg up to 10th in the standings ahead of the weekend's remaining fixtures and within a point of a Hoffenheim side winless in their last four.
- Hoffenheim's eight-match unbeaten run in home meetings with Augsburg came to an end.
- Niederlechner has had a hand in 13 of Augsburg’s 24 goals in 2019/20.
- Augsburg have claimed 13 points from their last five matches. It’s their longest unbeaten run since August/September 2017, when they also went five without defeat.
- Skov scored his second Bundesliga goal. The Dane's first was the November Goal of the Month winner in the Matchday 10 win over Paderborn.
- All four of Max's Bundesliga goals this season have come in his last five games.
- Jensen opened his Bundesliga account with his sixth effort on goal in six top-flight appearances.
- Locadia scored his fourth Bundesliga goal, but first with his his head.
- Augsburg have conceded a joint-league-high five goals to opposition substitute players this season.
Watch: Max on eating porridge before games with Niederlechner!
Hoffenheim: Baumann – Kaderabek (Baumgartner 71'), Akpoguma, Bicakcic (Locadia 61'), Skov - Grillitsch - Bebou, Samassekou, Rudy, Adamyan - Kramaric
Unused subs: Pentke, Stafylidis, Nordtveit, Rupp, Geiger, Hübner, Vogt
Out: Belfodil (knee), Posch (suspended), Zuber (foot)
Coach: Alfred Schreuder
Augsburg: Koubek – Lichtsteiner (Uduokhai 86'), Gouweleeuw, Jedvaj, Iago – Khedira, Baier (c) – Richter, Jensen (Cordova 81'), Max (Hahn 90'+3) - Niederlechner,
Unused subs: Luthe, Pedersen, Gregoritsch, Sarenren Bazee, Schieber, Oxford
Out: Finnbogason (shoulder), Framberger (thigh), Götze (hip), Gruezo (ankle), Suchy (calf), Vargas (suspended)
Coach: Martin Schmidt