Djibril Sow and a 95th-minute header from Evan N’Dicka earned Eintracht Frankfurt their first home win of the season in a 2-1 triumph over Union Berlin.
Union provided the first warning shot at Deutsche Bank Park as Taiwo Awoniyi ran onto Andreas Luthe’s long ball, but it just wouldn’t sit for the striker before N’Dicka managed to get across and smother the danger. At the other end, Frankfurt’s Rafael Borre was able to get his shot away after being played through the middle and slotting home, but the Colombian was flagged offside. There was no denying Sow midway through the half, however, when Filip Kostic’s cross from the left after a short corner wasn’t cleared properly and sat perfectly for the Swiss midfielder to fire into the top corner with the inside of his foot. Kostic was again involved, finding his initial target with a cross this time, but Daichi Kamada could only clip the crossbar with his header. Eintracht remained in the ascendency but still precariously placed with one goal. Kruse came closest for the visitors with an effort deflected behind.
Frankfurt and Kostic kept going at the start of the season half. The Serbian took the division lead for crosses from open play, but Jesper Lindström was unable to find the target with his header. The hosts were made to pay, though, as N’Dicka caught Awoniyi in the box and the Berliners were awarded a penalty. Kruse made no mistake from the spot, drawing Union level with only their fifth shot of the game and first of the second half. Their second almost saw the capital club snatch a winner late on but substitute Andreas Voglsammer was unable to beat Kevin Trapp. Frankfurt would have the last laugh - as they have so often lately - with an added-time strike, this time from N'Dicka as he flung himself at a Kostic cross to head home five minutes beyond the 90 and give the Eagles a first home league win under Oliver Glasner and make it three wins from three in the Bundesliga in November.
- Sow’s goal was just his second in the Bundesliga in 71 games. His first game against Bayern Munich in February 2019.
- Kostic has delivered the most crosses from open play in the league this season (70).
- Both of Kruse’s Bundesliga goals this season have come from the spot. He’s now converted 21 out of 22 penalties in the German top flight.
- Kruse has five goals in three games for Union against Frankfurt. He got just one in 16 for all his previous clubs.
- Voglsammer is the most used substitute this season alongside Freiburg's Ermedin Demirovic (12 times each).
- The Eagles have now won three Bundesliga games in a row and finish November as the only team with a 100 per cent record in the league for the month.
Watch: Trapp: "We always believe until the end"
Frankfurt: Trapp - Tuta, Hasebe (c), N'Dicka - Chandler, Sow, Jakic, Kostic - Kamada, Lindström (Ache 77’) - Borre (Paciencia 68’)
Unused subs: Ramaj, Ilsanker, Hinteregger, Rode, Toure, Hauge, Da Costa
Out: Lenz (thigh)
Coach: Oliver Glasner
Union: Luthe - Friedrich, Knoche, Baumgartl - Trimmel (c), Khedira (Ryerson 58’), Prömel, Oczipka (Gießelmann 90') - Haraguchi (Becker 58’) - Kruse (Öztunali 76’), Awoniyi (Voglsammer 76’)
Unused subs: Rönnow, Jaeckel, Ujah, Möhwald
Out: Behrens (not included)
Coach: Urs Fischer