Jadon Sancho scored one and assisted another as Borussia Dortmund laid down a marker for the new season by beating last term’s Bundesliga and DFB Cup double-winners Bayern Munich 2-0 in the 2019 DFL Supercup.
Injury prevented Dortmund summer signing Mats Hummels from lining up against his former club, not that Der Klassiker has ever been short of spice. BVB captain Marco Reus provided the first spark inside the opening minute, but his first-time effort was beaten away with authority by Manuel Neuer. The Bayern captain took his commanding presence to the halfway line in an attempt to stifle another Dortmund counter in the 16th minute. Paco Alcacer saw him coming, though, and was unlucky to see his long-range lob drop just the wrong side of the post. Neuer got an outstretched boot to a low Raphael Guerreiro drive, before Bayern finally clicked into gear with Kingsley Coman stinging the palms of Marwin Hitz from close range midway through an absorbing first 45.
If the first half was good, the second half was a veritable footballing feast - even if an errant Thiago back pass was the unlikely source of the opening goal. The Bayern midfielder gifted possession to Sancho, who showed composure beyond his years to tee up Alcacer for an unerring first-time finish into the bottom corner from 18 yards. Bayern responded in waves, with Hitz performing a quite brilliant double save from Coman and Robert Lewandowski, only to be undone by a lightning counter moments later. Sancho was sent scampering by Guerreiro, and the England international duly left red shirts in his wake before slamming through the legs of Neuer. Dortmund saw out the remainder with minimum fuss to claim the first piece of silverware of 2019/20.
- Dortmund have now won the Supercup six times, Bayern have claimed it on a record seven occasions.
- It is the first time BVB have won it since 2014.
- Alcacer has found the net 20 times in 33 competitive appearances for Dortmund. In 1724 minutes on the pitch in a BVB shirt, the Spain international has scored on average every 86 minutes.
- Sancho has scored 15 goals and provided 24 assists in 56 competitive outings for Dortmund, meaning the England international has been involved in one of his team's goals every 1.4 matches. Only Lewandowski had a hand in more goals last season.
- The defeat ends Bayern's run of three successive Supercup wins. They last time the record champions lost the final - to Wolfsburg in 2015 - they went on to win the Bundesliga by a 10-point margin.
- This was the 10th DFL Supercup. Until 1996, the competition was organised by the DFB.
Dortmund: Hitz – Piszczek (Wolf 80'), Akanji, Toprak, Schulz – Witsel, Weigl – Sancho (Bruun Larsen 80'), Reus (c), Guerreiro (Hakimi 74') – Alcacer
Unused subs: Oelschlägel, Zagadou, Schmelzer, Delaney, Dahoud, Götze
Out: Brandt (adductor), Bürki (shin), Morey (shoulder), Hazard (ankle), Hummels (unknown)
Bayern: Neuer (c) – Kimmich, Süle, Boateng, Alaba (Sanches 70') – Tolisso, Thiago (Pavard 80') – Müller (Davies 65'), Goretzka, Coman – Lewandowski
Unused subs: Ulreich, Hoffmann, Arp, Singh, Johansson
Out: Gnabry (thigh), Hernandez (match fitness), Martinez (knee)
Watch: Jadon Sancho on Dortmund's Supercup triumph