Robert Lewandowski and Alphonso Davies were among the goals as Bayern Munich moved a step closer to an unprecedented eighth successive Bundesliga title with a crushing 5-0 win over Fortuna Düsseldorf.
Bayern served notice of their intent as Lewandowski had an early goal ruled out for offside, before Zanka inadvertently turned in from Benjamin Pavard for 1-0. Thomas Müller forced a superb diving save from Florian Kastenmeier soon after, but Bayern didn't have to wait long for goal number two. Joshua Kimmich was the provider once again, picking out Pavard from another pin-point corner. Davies denied the visitors an unlikely route back into the contest when he got a block in on Kenan Karaman's goal-bound shot, but any hopes Fortuna harboured of still being in the game were dashed when Lewandowski started and finished a breathtaking team move with his 28th league goal of the season, and first ever against Düsseldorf.
Bayern were all over Fortuna like a rash as David Alaba stung the palms of Kastenmeier soon after the restart. Kingsley Coman and Serge Gnabry combined to set up Lewandowski for his second of the contest, before Davies got in on the act with a powerful run and composed finish. Despite conceding presentable chances to Karaman and Andre Hofmann, and having the game sewn up, the record champions did not rest on their laurels. Lewandowski headed over and met the gloves of Kastenmeier either side of a close-range Müller effort that was all power and not enough precision. Gnabry was also thwarted as Bayern moved 10 points clear at the summit on the back of a dominant win - their eighth on the trot in the Bundesliga.
- Bayern are unbeaten in 12 Bundesliga matches against Fortuna (W10, D2). The record champions have scored at least three goals in their last seven meetings with the Rhineland club - 29 in total.
- Bayern have scored 86 goals this term - a Bundesliga record after 29 rounds of fixtures.
- Lewandowski is the first player over the age of 30 to score 29 goals in a single Bundesliga season. He has now scored against all 18 of the Bundesliga's current clubs.
- Müller has had a direct hand in 11 goals in his last six Bundesliga games against Fortuna (five goals, six assists).
- All four of Davies' Bundesliga goals to date have come at the Allianz Arena.
- Pavard has registered four goals and three assists in his 27 Bundesliga appearances for Bayern.
Watch: Neuer: "We're happy with how it's gone so far"
Bayern: Neuer (c) - Pavard (Odriozola 62'), Hernandez (Cuisance 45'+1), Alaba, Davies - Kimmich, Goretzka - Gnabry (Batista Meier 78'), Müller (Zirkzee 75'), Coman (Perisic 62') - Lewandowski
Unused subs: Ulreich, Martinez, Boateng, Singh
Out: Coutinho (ankle), Mai (ankle), Süle (match fitness) Thiago (groin), Tolisso (ankle)
Coach: Hansi Flick
Fortuna: Kastenmeier - Zanka, Hoffmann, Gießelmann - Zimmermann (Zimmer 67'), Stöger (Berisha 57'), Bodzek (c), Morales (Sobottka 57'), Thommy (Suttner 67') - Karaman, Skrzybski
Unused subs: Rensing, Ofori, Pledl, Hennings, Bormuth
Out: Steffen (knee)
Coach: Uwe Rösler
How AFCON change affects Bayern and Sadio Mane
The 2023 Africa Cup of Nations has been rearranged - what does it mean for Bayern's marquee summer signing?
10 American moments in the Bundesliga
From trend-setter Andy Mate to the rise of Gio Reyna, we celebrate Americans in the Bundesliga this July 4...
Why are America's hot prospects flocking to the Bundesliga?
On July 4, we examine why Reyna & Co. are looking to follow in Pulisic's footsteps and make the grade in Germany...