Jordan Siebatcheu scored one and made another as Union Berlin extended their unbeaten start, whilst leaving RB Leipzig winless.
Timo Werner was in the mood in the early stages, rushing on to Dani Olmo's ball into the box, only for Frederik Rönnow to beat him to it. Mohamed Simakan cleared a Julian Ryerson strike off the Leipzig goal-line, before Werner beat Rönnow with a tidy clipped finish, but not the woodwork. Leipzig were masters of the counter-attack in Werner's first spell at the club, but Union dished out their own lesson in blistering transitions just past the half-hour. Siebatcheu applied the finish to Sheraldo Becker's run and pass for 1-0, and roles were reversed as Union went in at the break in complete control.
Union succeeded in keeping Leipzig at arm's length for much of the second half, whilst continuing to carve out chances of their own. Siebatcheu met a Becker pass on one such occasion, but the US striker flashed his shot wide. Marcel Halstenberg had a shot off cleared off the line by Ryerson, before making a telling intervention of his own to deny substitute Kevin Behrens in the six-yard box. Willi Orban halved the deficit with a header from a David Raum corner in the 83rd minute, but unbeaten Union held on for a win that leaves Leipzig winless in their first four competitive matches of 2022/23.
- Siebatcheu has three goals in four competitive games for Union. It took his predecessor, Taiwo Awoniyi, seven matches to open his account for the club.
- Becker has set up both of Siebatcheu's two Bundesliga goals to date.
- Union have made their best ever start to a Bundesliga season (seven points), and are unbeaten in a club record 10 top-flight matches (W8, D2).
- Die Eisernen have won their last four league meetings with Leipzig, having lost their first three.
- Orban scored from Leipzig's 11th corner of the match. Their 13 corners marks a single-game high among Bundesliga teams this season.
- Leipzig's Benjamin Henrichs made his 100th Bundesliga appearance.
Watch: Sheraldo Becker on his Spiderman celebration
Union: Rönnow - Jaeckel, Knoche, Leite - Trimmel (c), Khedira, Ryerson – Schäfer (Haraguchi 74'), Haberer (Thorsby 74') – Becker (Michel 74'), Siebatcheu (Behrens 63')
Unused subs: Grill, Doekhi, Michel, Seguin, Gießelmann, Leweling
Out: Baumgartl (match fitness), Schneider (knee)
Coach: Urs Fischer
Leipzig: Blaswich - Simakan, Orban (c), Gvardiol (Halstenberg 46') – Henrichs, Laimer (Silva 71'), Kampl (Haidara 62'), Raum – Olmo (Forsberg 78') – Nkunku, Werner
Unused subs: Nickisch, Schlager, Ba, Novoa
Out: Gulacsi (adductor), Klostermann (ankle), Poulsen (thigh), Szoboszlai (suspended)
Coach: Domenico Tedesco
Watch: Dani Olmo: "We want to be up there"
Bundesliga Fantasy Team of the Season so far
No Christopher Nkunku or Sadio Mane? Find out the top performers going into the unlimited transfer window...
Union Berlin: From East German also-rans to Bundesliga leaders
The club's remarkable journey has taken them from the basement of German football to its very summit.
Bundesliga top scorer's race: the story so so far
Sadio Mane is not far from the top, but there are several other surprise contenders with Union's Sheraldo Becker leading the way...