RB Leipzig captain Willi Orban scored a last-minute equaliser to rescue a point for the hosts in a 1-1 draw against Hoffenheim on Matchday 23.
Goals: 0-1 Kramaric (22'), 1-1 Orban (89')
The match took a while to get going, with Leipzig in particular seeming to miss the pace of Timo Werner in attack and the dynamism of Tyler Adams in midfield. Indeed, it wasn't until the 17th minute that Pavel Kaderabek had the first shot of the game, but Peter Gulacsi was untroubled making the save. The same couldn't be said five minutes later, however, when the Leipzig stopper could only parry Joelinton's effort into the path of Andrej Kramaric, who was left with an easy tap-in at the back post.
The second half was a far more open encounter and Leipzig went close to equalising within minutes of the restart when Orban's header drew a fine save from Oliver Baumann. Orban then needed to be alert at the other end to prevent Kramaric's cross reaching the unmarked Ishak Belfodil in the middle, but it was the hosts who looked more likely to score. Matheus Cunha had their best chance to do so when played through by Kevin Kampl, but Baumann was equal to his effort. Just when it looked like the visitors would take all three points, Orban slid in to convert Marcel Halstenberg's cross in the 89th minute to secure a hard-earned draw.
- Kramaric has scored 31 of his 43 Bundesliga goals (72 per cent) in the second half of a season.
- Werner's illness-enforced absence gave Cunha just his fourth Bundesliga start for Leipzig and first at home.
- Kramaric is Hoffenheim's top scorer this term on 10 league goals, following by Belfodil (seven), Joelinton and Reiss Nelson (both six).
- Orban's goal was Leipzig's first at home in 2019.
- After 23 matches, only Dortmund (57) and Bayern Munich (51) have scored more Bundesliga goals than Hoffenheim (45) in 2018/19.
- Only Dortmund have suffered fewer away defeats (one) than Hoffenheim (two) so far this season.
Leipzig: Gulacsi - Klostermann, Konate, Orban (c), Halstenberg - Ilsanker (Adams 46'), Demme (Kampl 61') - Sabitzer, Laimer - Cunha (Augustin 75'), Poulsen
Unused subs: Mvogo, Mukiele, Sarrachi, Forsberg
Out: Upamecano (knee). Haidara (knee), Smith Rowe (groin), Werner (ill)
Coach: Ralf Rangnick
Hoffenheim: Baumann (c) - Kaderabek, Adams, Posch, Schulz - Grillitsch - Bittencourt, Demirbay, Amiri (Bicakcic 64') - Joelinton (Nelson 82'), Kramaric, Belfodil (Szalai 69')
Unused subs: Stolz, Brenet, Otto, Amade
Out: Hübner (knee), Rupp (knee), Vogt (knock)
Coach: Julian Nagelsmann
Watch: Adams lauds the Bundesliga as great for young players