Timo Werner celebrated signing a contract extension with RB Leipzig by scoring in a deserved 2-1 victory over Eintracht Frankfurt to maintain Julian Nagelsmann's perfect start as coach.
RB Leipzig 2-1 Eintracht Frankfurt
Goals: 1-0 Werner (10'), 2-0 Poulsen (80'), 2-1 Paciencia (89')
Frankfurt's Filip Kostic fired an early warning shot across the bows, but Leipzig drew first blood when Yussuf Poulsen flicked a Marcel Sabitzer corner into the path of Werner, who volleyed past Kevin Trapp with aplomb. The chances were coming thick and fast for the hosts as Poulsen went withing a whisker of supplying the finish to a cute Werner pass and Sabitzer saw a goal-bound drive blocked, before Frankfurt finally managed to test Peter Gulacsi through Goncalo Paciencia just short of the half-hour mark. Leipzig had the chance to double their tally before the break, but Poulsen was unable to get the necessary power on his header.
Werner could have doubled his tally soon after the restart, but could only fire straight at Trapp following a wonderful piece of individual play from summer signing Christopher Nkunku. After Paciencia's lob forced a strong save from Gulacsi, Leipzig suffered a further fright when Werner went off injured with 11 minutes to play. Frowns were turned upside down barely 60 seconds later, though, as Poulsen all but ended the game as a contest. There didn't appear to be much on for the Dane as Marcel Halstenberg drifted an innocuous ball from left to right, but he made a full-blooded connection with the pass to crash the ball through the legs of Trapp. Although Paciencia reduced the arrears late on, Leipzig survived squeaky bum time unscathed to go joint-top of the standings.
- Leipzig scored with their first shot on goal, just as they did on Matchday 1.
- Werner has scored on the first two Matchdays of a season for the first time.
- Frankfurt full-back Danny Da Costa dropped to the Bundesliga bench for the first time since April 2018 (48 matches).
- World Cup winner Erik Durm made his first Bundesliga appearance since playing for Borussia Dortmund against Werder Bremen on Matchday 34 of the 2016/17 campaign.
- Frankfurt striker Dejan Joveljic made his Bundesliga debut.
- Leipizig's Ademola Lookman made his second Bundesliga debut. The Englishman registered five goals and four assists in 11 Bundesliga appearances during the second half of 2017/18.
Leipzig: Gulacsi – Mukiele, Konate, Orban (c) – Klostermann, Demme (Laimer 46'), Nkunku (Forsberg 61'), Halstenberg – Sabitzer – Poulsen, Werner (Lookman 79')
Unused subs: Mvogo, Haidara, Saracchi, Ilsanker, Cunha, Kampl
Out: Adams (groin), Augustin (ankle), Upamecano (knee), Wolf (ankle)
Coach: Julian Nagelsmann
Frankfurt: Trapp – Abraham (c) (Toure 87'), Hasebe, Ndicka – Durm (Chandler 77'), Kohr, Rode (De Guzman 77'), Kostic – Kamada – Paciencia, Joveljic
Unused subs: Rönnow, Fernandes, Hinteregger, Torro, Da Costa, Cetin
Out: Gacinovic (groin), Müller (knee), Rebic (calf), Russ (Achilles tendon), Tawatha (match fitness)
Coach: Adi Hütter