Luka Jovic struck a brace as Eintracht Frankfurt twice came from behind to salvage a point in a 2-2 draw away to local rivals Mainz on Wednesday.
Goals: 1-0 Quaison (10'), 1-1 Jovic (31'), 2-1 Quaison (36'), 2-2 Jovic (45')
The hosts began at a furious pace and pinned their visitors back inside their own half initially. Jean-Philippe Mateta wasted a glorious chance to take the lead early on but hesitated too long before shooting. Robin Quaison showed him how it was done moments later, accelerating past Carlos Salcedo to lash a left-footed drive into the net. Jovic had a goal disallowed for offside before eventually levelling the score, clinically finishing off a textbook counter-attack from Filip Kostic's cross.
The hosts restored the lead shortly afterwards, however, Quaison sliding in at the back post to tap in Jean-Paul Boetius' cross. Yet Jovic was far from finished and equalised again on the stroke of half-time when he headed in Jonathan de Guzman's corner. The second half was equally frenetic and there were numerous chances at either end - the best of which arguably fell to Ante Rebic in the last minute - but Robin Zentner made a superb save to ensure the points were shared.
- Quaison's opener was his first Bundesliga goal with his left foot - his previous six had all been scored with his right.
- Jovic struck his third brace in the Bundesliga this season. He is now joint-top scorer with Borussia Dortmund's Paco Alcacer on 12 goals this term.
- Quaison's double was his second in Germany's top flight. His first arrived on Matchday 23 last season in a 2-0 win over Hertha Berlin.
- Mainz have never lost a league match at home to Frankfurt (6 wins, 9 draws).
- Mainz have scored five own goals against Eintracht in the Bundesliga, which is more than against any other team.
- Frankfurt have beaten Mainz 3-0 twice in 2018 (Bundesliga and DFB Cup), but they’ve never managed three consecutive clean sheets in this fixture.
Mainz: Zentner - Brosinki, Bell (c), Niakhaté, Aaron - Gbamin, Kunde (Baku 77'), Latza - Mateta, Boëtius, Quaison
Unused subs: Huth, Hack,, Maxim, Öztunali, Ujah, Onisiwo
Out: Adler (knee), Mwene (knee), Berggreen (thigh), Müller (ankle)
Coach: Sandro Schwarz
Frankfurt: Trapp - Salcedo, Falette, N'Dicka - Da Costa, De Guzman (Rebic 72'), Fernandes (c), Kostic - Gacinovic (Willems 72') - Haller, Jovic
Unused subs: Rönnow, Stendera, Russ, Müller, Tawatha
Out: Abraham (calf), Allan (knee), Chandler (knee), Hasebe (thigh), Paciencia (knee), Torro (pelvis)
Coach: Adi Hütter