US international Timothy Chandler and Filip Kostic scored two apiece in Eintracht Frankfurt's rampant 5-0 win over Augsburg.
Augsburg fired off the first real opening as Florian Niederlechner fed Ruben Vargas, who met stiff resistance in Frankfurt goalkeeper Kevin Trapp. The visitors continued to create openings, with Philipp Max shooting wide from range before Eintracht found their groove around the half-hour mark. And after Chandler forced a strong reaction save from Augsburg goalkeeper Tomas Koubek, the Frankfurt-born American ran onto Dominik Kohr's defence-splitting pass and finished with aplomb. Niederlechner and Alfred Finnbogason had chances to level before the half was up, but Trapp was equal to both of them.
Buoyed by a four-match unbeaten run, including league and DFB Cup wins over title candidates RB Leipzig, Frankfurt rammed home their advantage soon after the restart. Koubek pushed a venomous Kohr strike over for a corner, from which Kostic found the head of Chandler for 2-0. Andre Silva spurned a close-range opportunity as the Eagles turned the screw, but made amends with his next attempt, heading home Kostic's well-weighted cross from close range. The AC Milan loanee shot wide and tested Koubek in a one-sided final quarter, before the outstanding Kostic scored twice in the final two minutes of normal time to put the seal on a well-deserved win.
- Previously without a Bundesliga goal since February 2018, Chandler has now scored four in his last four games. Only Borussia Dortmund's seven-goal Erling Haaland has scored more in 2020.
- Kostic helped himself to the second Bundesliga brace of his career.
- Frankfurt have picked up 10 points from their four matches since the turn of the year.
- Silva scored his first Bundesliga goal in four months. He was also in target in the DFB Cup win over Leipzig in midweek. Two of his four Bundesliga strikes have been headers.
- Eintracht have scored a league-high 10 headed goals this season.
- Augsburg have lost three away games in a row since winning 4-2 at Hoffenheim on Matchday 15.
Watch: Chandler: "It feels very, very good"
Frankfurt: Trapp – Toure, Abraham (c) (Hasebe 30'), Hinteregger, N'Dicka – Chandler, Kohr, Ilsanker, Kostic – Gacinovic (Rode 67') – Silva (Paciencia 84')
Unused subs: Rönnow, De Guzman, Sow, Kamada, Da Costa, Durm
Out: Dost (stomach bug), Fernandes (hip), Russ (Achilles tendon), Torro (thigh)
Coach: Adi Hütter
Augsburg: Koubek – Jedvaj (Lichtsteiner 74'), Gouweleeuw, Uduokhai, Max – Richter (Sarenren Bazee 81'), Khedira, Baier (c), Vargas – Finnbogason (Löwen 65'), Niederlechner
Unused subs: Luthe, Suchy, Moravek, Jensen, Gruezo, Hahn
Out: Cordova (ankle), Giefer (foot), Iago (international duty), Schieber (muscular)
Coach: Martin Schmidt
Werner strikes but 10-man Leipzig held by Cologne
Timo Werner scored on his RB Leipzig return but the 10 men were held to a 2-2 draw by Cologne.
Mainz vs. Union: team news
Summer arrivals Angelo Fulgini and Jordan Siebatcheu are both out to make it two wins from two on Sunday.
Bayern vs. Wolfsburg: team news
Sadio Mane has two goals in two games for Bayern - can he keep that going when Omar Marmoush and Wolfsburg visit the Allianz Arena on Sunday?