Raphael Guerreiro and Julian Brandt delivered against Augsburg as Borussia Dortmund recorded their eighth straight Bundesliga home win.
Daniel Caligiuri - the scourge of Dortmund in his Schalke days - made Gregor Kobel work early on, but Erling Haaland-less BVB landed the first blow. Jeffrey Gouweleeuw was adjudged to have brought down Donyell Malen in the penalty box, and Guerreiro coolly dispatched the ensuing spot-kick for 1-0. Clear-cut chances from open play had been at a premium, until Augsburg found a way to level with 10 minutes of the first half remaining. Arne Maier’s shot from range cannoned back off the woodwork, with Zeqiri turning in the follow-up.
Dortmund restored their advantage soon after the restart. Marco Reus collected a pass from the rampaging Marius Wolf and found Brandt, who touched the ball onto his left foot before arrowing a precision-perfect finish inside Rafal Gikiewicz’s near post from the edge of the area. Wolf tested the Augsburg stopper from range as BVB turned the screw, with Reus thrashing the rebound onto the woodwork and inches away from getting his head to Malen’s ensuing cross-shot. The upright also denied Thorgan Hazard, but Augsburg couldn't prevent a fifth Dortmund win of the 2021/22 Bundesliga season.
- Dortmund have won all three of their home games this Bundesliga season, despite conceding in each one.
- BVB have not lost at the Signal Iduna Park in the Bundesliga since 3 April 2021.
- Guerreiro has scored 25 goals in 118 Bundesliga appearances.
- Brandt has scored twice in four Bundesliga appearances under Marco Rose. He registered three in 31 last season.
- Hazard made his 200th Bundesliga appearance (53 for Dortmund, 147 for Borussia Mönchengladbach).
- Augsburg have won only one of 11 Bundesliga games in Dortmund (D3, L7).
Watch: Brandt: "You always enjoy it when you score!"
Dortmund: Kobel - Meunier (Hazard 51'), Akanji, Hummels (Pongracic 65'), Guerreiro - Bellingham, Witsel (Can 65') - Wolf (Schulz 72'), Reus (c), Brandt - Malen (Reinier 72')
Unused subs: Hitz, Moukoko, Passlack, Knauff
Out: Coulibaly (knee), Dahoud (suspended), Haaland (thigh), Morey (knee), Reyna (thigh), Schmelzer (knee), Tigges (thigh), Zagadou (knee)
Coach: Marco Rose
Augsburg: Gikiewicz - Gumny, Gouweleeuw (c), Oxford - Caligiuri, Gruezo (Sarenren Bazee 78'), Maier (Gregoritsch 78'), Strobl, Pedersen (Günther 86') - Zeqiri (Jensen 63'), Cordova
Unused subs: Koubek, Framberger
Out: Dorsch (knock), Finnbogason (Achilles' tendon), Hahn (ill), Iago (shoulder), Moravek (groin), Uduokhai (knock)
Coach: Markus Weinzierl
Watch: Rose: "The fans carry us"