Sadio Mane scored his first Bundesliga brace as Bayern Munich cruised to a 7-0 win in Bochum.
Bochum 0-7 Bayern Munich
Goals: 0-1 Sane 5' (assist: Coman), 0-2 de Ligt 25' (assist: Kimmich), 0-3 Coman 33', 0-4 Mane 42' (assist: Coman), 0-5 Mane (pen. 60'), 0-6 Gamboa (o.g. 70'), 0-7 Gnabry 76' (assist: Vidovic)
Any hopes Bochum had of repeating their famous 4-2 win over Bayern in last season's reverse fixture were extinguished in a blistering first-half display by the record champions. Leroy Sane combined with Kingsley Coman before dispatching a thunderous right-footed strike beyond Manuel Riemann in the fifth minute. After fending off a another Sane stinger, Riemann was beaten for the second time when Matthijs de Ligt headed in a Joshua Kimmich corner for a goal on his full Bundesliga debut. Coman tucked in a third after Riemann had denied Thomas Müller at close quarters, and might have had a fourth but for the woodwork. Mane put away the follow-up, but the goal was ruled out for an earlier handball. The Senegal forward got in on the act with Bayern's next attack, though, bamboozling his marker and squeezing in a superb effort at Riemann's near-post.
Bayern were unfortunate not to have added to their lead before half-time as a rushed Riemann clearance cannoned wide off Mane. Mane then teed up Müller for an audacious scissor-kick that whistled off target. Normal service resumed after the restart, with Kimmich and Coman warning shots the precursor to a fifth Bayern goal. Saidy Janko was penalised for clipping the heels of Coman, and Mane duly stepped up to send Riemann the wrong way from the spot. It was the joy of six with 20 minutes remaining as a brilliantly incisive transition culminated in Cristian Gamboa toeing in substitute Serge Gnabry's through-ball in an attempt to stop Sane doing just that. Gnabry fired in with the aid of a deflection off Ivan Ornets to send the Bundesliga leaders into seventh heaven. A Simon Zoller shot against the woodwork summed up a day to forget for rock-bottom Bochum.
- Bayern are the only team with maximum points after three rounds of Bundesliga fixtures. With 15 goals scored and one against, it marks their best ever start to a top-flight season.
- Mane has fired off nine goal attempts in the Bundesliga, scoring three, having three ruled out and hitting the woodwork once. He is the Bundesliga's joint-top scorer in 2022/23, alongside teammate Jamal Musiala.
- Mane is the first Bayern player not called Robert Lewandowski, now of Barcelona, to score a Bundesliga penalty since early 2020.
- Sane, de Ligt and Coman are the latest of eight different Bayern goalscorers in this season's Bundesliga.
- The record champions have scored 21 goals in four competitive matches in 2022/23.
- Bochum are one of two Bundesliga teams without a point this season. Bayer Leverkusen are the other. The defeat was their heaviest ever in the German top flight.
Watch: Sadio Mane: "It's very difficult to cope with us"
Bochum: Riemann - Gamboa, Ordets (Masovic 85'), Heintz, Janko (Osei-Tutu 70') - Losilla (c), Stöger - Asano (Holtmann 68'), Förster (Goralski 68'), Zoller (Lampropoulos 85') - Hofmann
Unused subs: Esser Oermann, Tolba, Bonga
Out: Antwi-Adjei (muscular), Horn (thigh), Osterhage (muscular), Soares (hip), Stafylidis (muscular)
Coach: Thomas Reis
Bayern: Neuer (c) - Pavard (Mazraoui 67'), Upamecano, de Ligt, Hernandez (Stanisic 62') - Kimmich, Sabitzer (Gravenberch 62') - Coman, Müller (Gnabry 67'), Sane - Mane (Vidovic 72')
Unused subs: Ulreich, Wanner, Sarr, Tel
Out: Choupo-Moting (groin), Davies (muscular), Goretzka (knee), Musiala (hip)
Coach: Julian Nagelsmann
Watch: Matthijs de Ligt: "Amazing to score!"
Guirassy, Führich and Millot forming Stuttgart's new magic triangle
Serhou Guirassy, Chris Führich and Enzo Millot are prompting thoughts of a new magische Dreieck in Stuttgart.
Who is Jamie Bynoe-Gittens?
Upon his contract extension, which will keep him in Dortmund until 2028, get the lowdown on the English teenager following in the footsteps of Sancho and Bellingham at Dortmund...
Are Alonso's Leverkusen serious title contenders?
The outside bet for many ahead of the season, Xabi Alonso’s Werkself are emerging as serious contenders for the Bundesliga title.