Thomas Müller grabbed a brace and Kingsley Coman had a hat-trick of assists but leaders Bayern Munich were unable to get the better of title rivals RB Leipzig in a superb contest at the Allianz Arena.
Leipzig had failed to even score on their four previous Bundesliga visits to the Allianz Arena, but Marcel Sabitzer almost gave them a stunning early lead with a swerving effort that rattled the crossbar. Bayern winger Coman fired into the side netting as the hosts began to dominate possession, but it was the visitors enjoying the better chances. Christopher Nkunku saw a first attempt deflected over by Jerome Boateng and a second whistle just beyond the top corner, after great midfield battling from USA international Tyler Adams. Third time was a charm for the Frenchman, who latched onto a perfect through ball from Emil Forsberg, skipped past the onrushing Manuel Neuer and slotted home for 1-0. There was French flair on show at both ends, as Benjamin Pavard almost equalised with a crisp half-volley reminiscent of his outrageous strike at the FIFA 2018 World Cup. Jamal Musiala came on for the injured Javi Martinez and it was the 17-year-old who equalised for the champions, arrowing into the bottom corner after being teed up by Coman. Four minutes later, Bayern were ahead: Robert Lewandowski nutmegged Dayot Upamecano to find Coman, who got his second assist by slipping in Müller for a close-range finish. But Leipzig levelled almost immediately, as a delightful touch from Amadou Haidara allowed Justin Kluivert – the son of former Netherlands legend Patrick – to fire in his first Bundesliga goal.
There was barely a moment of respite in that breathless opening period, and the two sides picked up exactly where they left off after the break. Leipzig restored their lead on 48 minutes as the Bayern defence failed to track Forsberg's run into the area, and the Sweden forward had all the time in the world to nod Angelino's pinpoint cross past Neuer. Bayern were soon back on top, but they were struggling to carve out presentable chances, while the visitors continued to look dangerous on the counter-attack. Both coaches made attacking changes, with Yussuf Poulsen and Serge Gnabry entering the fray, but it was once again Coman and Müller who combined for the Bayern equaliser – the Frenchman making it a hat-trick of assists as he curled in a cross that the German headed past Peter Gulacsi for 3-3. Leipzig coach Julian Nagelsmann bolstered his defence with the introduction of Willi Orban in the closing stages as leaders Bayern continued to hunt for a winner. Musiala squandered a couple of half-chances and Gnabry went close but a magnificent match ended in a stalemate, which keeps Bayern two points clear of Leipzig at the summit of the Bundesliga.
- After failing to score in the first eight games of the season, Nkunku has now netted in back-to-back outings. His opener was Leipzig's first Bundesliga goal at the Allianz Arena.
- Musiala has scored three games off the bench this season, more than any other Bundesliga player. He is only the fourth 17-year-old to reach at least three Bundesliga goals, after Christian Pulisic, Timo Werner and Kai Havertz.
- Müller got his first goals against Leipzig in his eighth competitive meeting with the Saxony club. The 31-year-old now has six goals to go along with his league-leading six assists.
- Kluivert opened his Bundesliga account in his fourth top-flight game. Leipzig have more different goalscorers in the league this season than any other team (11).
- Forsberg scored his first Bundesliga header, taking his tally to 22 overall.
- This is the fourth game in a row that Bayern have gone behind in the Bundesliga. They have recovered to claim two wins (Borussia Dortmund, VfB Stuttgart) and two draws (Werder Bremen, Leipzig).
- Bayern have scored 34 goals in the first 10 games of 2020/21, improving their own Bundesliga record for the most prolific start to a season.
Watch: Müller: "I'm very happy with Jamal Musiala"
Bayern: Neuer (c) - Pavard, Süle, Boateng (Richards 84'), Alaba - Martinez (Musiala 25'), Goretzka - Sane (Gnabry 64'), Müller, Coman (Costa 83') - Lewandowski
Unused subs: Nübel, Choupo-Moting, Sarr, Roca, Nianzou
Out: Davies (ankle), Kimmich (knee), Tolisso (muscular), Zirkzee (match fitness)
Coach: Hansi Flick
Leipzig: Gulacsi - Konate, Upamecano, Mukiele (Olmo 72') - Sabitzer (c) (Kampl 72'), Adams, Haidara (Sörloth 78'), Angelino - Forsberg (Poulsen 62'), Kluivert (Orban 78') - Nkunku
Unused subs: Martinez, Samardzic, Halstenberg, Borkowski
Out: Henrichs (knee), Hwang (not included), Klostermann (knee), Laimer (knee)
Coach: Julian Nagelsmann
Watch: Forsberg: "We played well, we have to be happy with the draw"