James Rodriguez hat-trick and maiden Alphonso Davies goal send Bayern Munich top after crushing Mainz win
James Rodriguez scored a hat-trick and Alphonso Davies netted his first Bundesliga goal as Bayern Munich returned to the top of the table on goal difference with a commanding 6-0 win over Mainz.
Goals: 1-0 Lewandowski (3'), 2-0 James (33'), 3-0 Coman (39'), 4-0 James (51'), 5-0 James (55'), 6-0 Davies (71')
The writing was on the wall for Mainz as early as the third minute when Robert Lewandowski expertly poked in David Alaba’s near-post cross. James tested Florian Müller and Coman struck the woodwork, before Bayern doubled their lead with a superb team goal. Leon Goreztka cushioned a Joshua Kimmich cross into the path of James, who made no mistake with the finish. Frenchman Kingsley Coman got in on the act minutes later, latching onto Thiago’s through-ball and firing across Müller to cap a first half of sheer Bayern domination.
A chastening evening got worse still for Mainz soon after the restart when the irrepressible James collected a dinked pass from Jerome Boateng, cut inside onto his preferred left foot and fired an unstoppable effort beyond the reach of Müller a la waylaid teammate Arjen Robben. The Colombian completed his treble with Bayern’s next attack, and it was another sensational finish - this time of the chipped variety - but Bayern were not done yet. Canadian substitute Davies opened his Bundesliga account after Müller could only parry from Lewandowski to send the defending champions seven goals clear of Borussia Dortmund at the summit.
Watch: James "happy" with first Bayern hat-trick
- James had already had hand in six efforts on goal when he found the net with his first of three goals - his fifth, sixth and seventh of the campaign. It was the Colombian's first career hat-trick since his Porto days (2011).
- Aged 18, four months and 15 days, Davies is Bayern's youngest Bundesliga goalscorer since Roque Santa Cruz (August 1999). He is also the club's first Canadian goalscorer.
- Lewandowski has scored five goals in his last three Bundesliga games, and 14 in his last 13 against Mainz.
- Coman scored his first competitive home goal of 2018/19, and third of the current Bundesliga season.
- Bayern have won 13 of their last 14 Bundesliga matches.
- The defending champions have scored at least five goals in three successive league matches for the first time.
Bayern: Neuer (c) – Kimmich, Süle, Boateng, Alaba (Davies 59') – Goretzka, Thiago – Müller, James (Rafinha 73'), Coman (Ribery 66') - Lewandowski
Unused subs: Ulreich, Hummels, Mai, Sanches
Out: Robben (calf), Tolisso (knee), Gnabry (cold), Martinez (knock)
Coach: Niko Kovac
Mainz: Müller – Brosinski, Bell (c), Niakhite, Hack – Gbamin (Donati 75'), Öztunali, Latza – Boetius (Kunde 46') - Mateta (Martin 63'), Onisiwo
Unused subs: Zentner, Maxim, Quaison, Ujah
Out: Abbas (thigh), Adler (knee), Holtmann (thigh), Mwene (knee), Berggreen (flu)
Coach: Sandro Schwarz
Watch: Kimmich on Bayern's recent free-scoring streak
All the new jerseys for 2023/24
See what kits your favourite players will be wearing next season and get your hands on the jerseys as soon as they're released.
Official Bundesliga transfer centre: summer 2023
Find out all the ins and outs across the Bundesliga ahead of the 2023/24 campaign...
Watch: Bayern celebrate the title at Marienplatz
See all the celebrations and reaction after Bayern sealed the 2022/23 Bundesliga title on the final day of the season.