Robert Lewandowski set a new single-season scoring record, sticking away his 41st goal of the campaign in the last minute of a gala Bayern Munich performance against Augsburg.
Following his record-equalling exploits on the penultimate weekend, all eyes were on Lewandowski heading into the champions' last game of 2020/21 - Rafal Gikiewicz's very much included. The Augsburg custodian pulled off a litany of top-drawer saves to deny his Polish countryman, but still couldn't prevent his side falling 4-0 down before half-time. Jeffrey Gouweleeuw kicked off the procession, the Augsburg defender inadvertently turning in Serge Gnabry's low cross ahead of Kingsley Coman. Gnabry added a second following a classic goalmouth melee during which Gikiewicz thwarted Lewandowski and Coman struck the upright. Manuel Neuer beat away a tame Daniel Caligiuri penalty, before Gikiewicz pulled off a superb double stop to keep out David Alaba and Lewandowski. Augsburg's one-man band repelled the same duo soon later, but not before Joshua Kimmich had thundered in a third Bayern goal from fully 25 yards. After Lewandowski sent a header wide, Coman rounded out a one-sided first half with an unerring low finish from range.
Bayern continued to create chances for Lewandowski early in the second half as the Bundesliga's record non-German marksman sent a header from a corner over and had a goal-bound effort poked off the goal-line by substitute Marek Suchy. There was a touching moment on the hour as Jerome Boateng made way for Javi Martinez, the duo playing their final matches for the record champions. Andre Hahn then pulled a goal back with a towering header, making Neuer wait to claim the Bundesliga's outright clean sheet record. Lewandowski fired a free-kick at Gikiewicz, before Florian Niederlechner halved the deficit following a mistake by Alphonso Davies. Tears were shed as Alaba left the field to a standing ovation, in scenes reminiscent of Boateng's withdrawal, the Austrian all-rounder bidding the club he joined as a 16-year-old a fond farewell. Gikiewicz pulled off yet another wonderful save from Lewandowski, but the Bayern No.9 was not to be denied. After Gikiewicz could only parry from substitute Leroy Sane, Lewandowski tucked away the rebound with virtually the last kick of the game to a break a record set by Gerd Müller some 49 years ago.
Watch: Lewandowski's record-breaking 41st goal of the season!
- Lewandowski scored 41 times in 29 Bundesliga appearances in 2020/21. He recorded his 250th Bundesliga win. Only Oliver Kahn (310), Neuer (292), Manfred Kaltz (291) and Thomas Müller (278) have claimed more.
- Bayern have scored at least once in 71 competitive matches in a row, dating back to their goalless draw with Julian Nagelsmann's RB Leipzig on 9 February 2020. They're the third team in Bundesliga history to find the net on every matchday of a single season, after Cologne (1963/64) and themselves (2012/13).
- Gnabry's reached double figures for goals in all five of his seasons in the Bundesliga. The last player to do that was Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.
- Flick took charge of Bayern for the 86th and final time in all competitions. His record reads: W70, D8, L8.
- Hahn ended the season on eight goals - his best return since 2015/16.
- All five of Niederlechner's goals this season have fallen during the second half of the campaign.
Watch: Lewandowksi: "I still can't believe I did it!"
Bayern: Neuer (c) - Pavard, Boateng (Martinez 61'), Hernandez, Davies - Kimmich, Alaba (Tolisso 73') - Gnabry (Sane 61'), Müller (Choupo-Moting 72'), Coman (Musiala 61') - Lewandowski
Unused subs: Nübel, Süle, Sarr, Roca
Out: Costa (metatarsal), Goretzka (hamstring), Hoffmann (knee), Nianzou (suspended)
Coach: Hansi Flick
Augsburg: Gikiewicz - Gumny, Oxford, Gouweleeuw (c), Pedersen (Framberger 46') - Caligiuri (Suchy 46'), Gruezo, Benes, Hahn (Petkov 86') - Richter, Niederlechner (Finnbogasson 76')
Unused subs: Koubek, Khedira, Gregoritsch, Strobl
Out: Bazee (knee), Iago (knee), Uduokhai (ankle), Vargas (suspended)
Coach: Markus Weinzierl
Watch: Lewandowski dedicates historic goal to his mother