Marco Richter opened the scoring and Florian Niederlechner netted a stunner as Augsburg weathered a second-half Eintracht Frankfurt storm to take all three points for the first time this season in a 2-1 victory.
Augsburg 2-1 Eintracht Frankfurt
Goals: 1-0 Richter (35'), 2-0 Niederlechner (43'), 2-1 Paciencia (73')
The match started brightly with both teams enjoying the late summer sun at the WWK Arena in Augsburg. The home side nearly stole an early lead in the first minute, but Kevin Trapp reacted brilliantly to get a hand to Niederlechner’s shot. The two sides exchanged attacks for the next half hour, with Frankfurt edging possession and chances on goal. However, the home side held firm and eventually took the lead when Alfred Finnbogason's cushioned header fell into the path of Richter, who swept into the Frankfurt net. With only minutes to go in the half, Niederlechner made amends for his earlier miss and compounded the visitors' misery with a brilliant curling shot that Trapp had no hope of stopping.
The visitors emerged from the break determined to claw their way back into the game, with Portuguese strike duo Andre Silva and Goncalo Paciencia industrious up front. Die Függerstädter, on the other hand, were content to cede possession and soak up pressure to preserve their two-goal lead. That approach paid off until the 73rd minute, when Dominik Kohr unlocked the Augsburg defence and fed Paciencia, who continued his fine run of goalscoring form with a smart finish. Frankfurt smelled blood and kept pressing for an equaliser, but the Augsburg defence managed to close ranks and hold on for their first win of the season.
- Richter loves playing against Frankfurt: four of his six Bundesliga goals have been scored against the Eagles.
- Finnbogason, Augsburg's top scorer last term, made his first start of the season and his first start since April 14th. He marked the occasion with an assist for the opening goal.
- This was Frankfurt’s 1,700th Bundesliga match. They are only the eighth club to reach this milestone.
- New Frankfurt striker Silva, who made his debut here, is the youngest player ever to score a hat-trick for Portugal, and has 15 goals in 33 appearances for the European champions.
- Frankfurt goalkeeper Trapp has never kept a clean sheet against Augsburg, conceding 17 goals in ten meetings.
- Paciencia remains Frankfurt's top marksman with three goals in four Bundesliga matches this season.
Augsburg: Koubek - Framberger (c), Jedvaj, Uduokhai, Max - Khedira, Moravek (Oxford 68') - Richter (Teigl 78'), Niederlechner, Vargas (Hahn 74') - Finnbogason
Unused subs: Luthe, Pedersen, Cordova, Gregoritsch, Stanic, Schieber
Out: Götze (hip), Gouweleeuw (groin), Iago (knee), Lichtsteiner (suspended)
Coach: Martin Schmidt
Frankfurt: Trapp - Abraham (c), Hasebe, Hinteregger - da Costa, Sow (Kohr 46'), Rode (Dost 65'), Chandler - Kamada - Paciencia, Silva
Unused subs: Wiedwald, Ndicka, Fernandes, Joveljic, Torro, Toure, Durm
Out: de Guzman (muscular), Gacinovic (groin), Kostic (ill), Russ (Achilles tendon)
Coach: Adi Hütter