Erling Haaland came off the bench to score a 20-minute hat-trick on his Bundesliga debut as Borussia Dortmund came from behind to beat Augsburg in a pulsating encounter at the WWK-Arena.
Dortmund made an ominous start as Thorgan Hazard tested Tomas Koubek and captain Marco Reus miscued from Jadon Sancho inside seven minutes. Augsburg’s Florian Niederlechner had a breakaway goal ruled out for offside following consultation with the VAR, before Sancho and Reus failed to land another couple of promising openings on target. BVB’s misfiring frontline were punished when Ruben Vargas gratefully picked off a wayward pass on halfway from Hazard, before racing clear and pulling back for Niederlechner to give Augsburg the half-time lead.
Augsburg doubled their advantage soon after the restart through a thunderous Marco Richter strike. Julian Brandt reduced the arrears moments later with the aid of the crossbar, but Dortmund were caught out once again as Niederlechner crowned another incisive counter, this time poking home from Philipp Max. Augsburg were buoyant, but the introduction of Haaland changed the game. The Norway international scored with his second touch to spark a comeback of epic proportions, with Sancho - provider for Haaland's first - controlling Mats Hummels’ stunning long ball and rounding Tomas Koubek to level on the hour. Haaland added goals four - awarded after another VAR check - and five - a clinical left-footed finish - to complete a memorable debut and turnaround.
- Haaland completed his hat-trick with his 10th touch. It is his sixth three-goal haul of the season (five for Red Bull Salzburg).
- Dortmund's Paco Alcacer was the last Bundesliga player to come off the bench and score a hat-trick - against Augsburg.
- Sancho has scored nine goals in his last nine competitive appearances.
- Gio Reyna made his Bundesliga debut. Aged 17 years, two months and five days, he is the youngest American to play in the German top flight.
- Former Dortmund striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang scored a hat-trick on his Bundesliga debut back in August 2013 - against Augsburg.
- Niederlechner has started every game this season for Augsburg, and leads the way with 10 goals and six assists.
- There were a season-high seven second-half goals in the game.
Watch: Haaland: "I came here to score goals"
Augsburg: Koubek – Lichtsteiner, Gouweleeuw, Jedvaj, Max – Khedira, Baier (c) (Sarenren Bazee 85') – Richter, Jensen (Löwen 74'), Vargas – Niederlechner
Unused subs: Luthe, Pedersen, Suchy, Moravek, Uduokhai, Hahn, Teigl
Out: Cordova (ankle), Framberger (thigh), Iago (international duty), Malone (illness)
Coach: Martin Schmidt
Dortmund: Bürki – Piszczek (Haaland 56'), Hummels, Akanji – Hakimi, Witsel, Brandt, Guerreiro – Sancho, Reus (c) (Dahourd 80'), Hazard (Reyna 72')
Unused subs: Hitz, Götze, Schulz, Balerdi, Morey, Bruun Larsen
Out: Alcacer (not included), Delaney (ankle), Schmelzer (match fitness), Zagadou (not included)
Coach: Lucien Favre
Watch: Reus on Haaland: "He was unbelievable off the bench"