Breel Embolo scored the only goal as Borussia Mönchengladbach ended a four-match winless run in the Bundesliga with a 1-0 victory away at Arminia Bielefeld.
Arminia Bielefeld 0-1 Borussia Mönchengladbach
Goals: 0-1 Embolo (58')
Gladbach were forced into a late change to their starting XI after Valentino Lazaro pulled up in the warm-up with a groin problem, but replacement Patrick Herrmann showed he was ready when finding the back of the net inside the first three minutes, only for the linesman’s flag to rule it out. Moments later, Embolo hit the post before failing to turn home the rebound. It set the tone for the first half as Borussia dominated and had 13 unanswered attempts on goal in the first 40 minutes, but bar an Embolo header they failed to really test Stefan Ortega between the Bielefeld posts. With the break approaching and the game still level, the hosts seemed to surge into life with their first attacks. The best fell to Sergio Cordova in stoppage time when picked out on the edge of the box after a counter, but the Venezuelan curled his effort wide of the far post.
Embolo put another header straight at Ortega as the second half continued to follow the same pattern as the first, but the Swiss striker wasn't to be denied again as the Foals went route one with a long ball from Jonas Hofmann. Embolo shrugged off Amos Pieper before firing across the goalkeeper for the opening goal with his seventh attempt of the game. Bielefeld boss Uwe Neuhaus threw on an array of attacking players to try and snatch something late on, but to no avail as the promoted side remain in the relegation play-off spot. Gladbach, on the other hand, kicked off 2021 with their first league win since November.
- Embolo’s goal was his 11th in 40 Bundesliga appearances for Gladbach, surpassing his total of 10 in 48 for Schalke.
- Herrmann made his 349th competitive appearance for Gladbach, drawing level with legend Günter Netzer in eighth in the club’s all-time standings.
- Gladbach have now scored in 13 straight Bundesliga games in a single season for the first time since 1992/93.
- Borussia had 22 attempts on goal, with seven on target, to Arminia's seven shots and none on target.
- Bielefeld have now lost all 10 matches this season in which they’ve conceded first. Their record when leading is three wins and a draw.
- Arminia have scored just a single goal in their last nine Bundesliga meetings with Gladbach (1-1 in April 2009).
Watch: Neuhaus looks ahead to Gladbach's Matchday 15 fixture against Bayern Munich
Bielefeld: Ortega - Brunner, Van der Hoorn, Pieper, De Medina (Lucoqui 71') - Doan, Prietl (Maier 88'), Hartel (Schipplock 71'), Gebauer (Yabo 52') - Cordova (Kunze 52'), Klos (c)
Unused subs: Linner, Nilsson, Soukou, Seufert
Out: Laursen (knee), Niemann (shoulder), Voglsammer (calf)
Coach: Uwe Neuhaus
Gladbach: Sommer - Lainer, Ginter, Elvedi, Wendt (Bensebaini 84') - Kramer, Neuhaus (Zakaria 77') - Herrmann (Wolf 85'), Stindl (c), Hofmann - Embolo (Plea 64')
Unused subs: Sippel, Beyer, Benes, Jantschke
Out: Lazaro (groin), Thuram (suspended)
Coach: Marco Rose