German giants Hamburg and Schalke get the ball rolling in Bundesliga 2 on 28 July. bundesliga.com takes a closer look at the records and milestones up for grabs in 2023/24...
Going into 2023/24, no team has played in more games or scored more goals in Bundesliga 2 than Greuther Fürth (1160 and 1721 respectively). They've gone up twice, but it's Nuremberg - along with relegated Arminia Bielefeld - who co-hold the record for most promotions from Bundesliga 2 (eight). Success at the end of the new campaign would lift Der Club outright top of the promotion pile.
Watch: Hamburg missed out on promotion in the 2023 play-offs
The promotion race is set to be as keenly contested as ever, not least following the demotion of Schalke and Hertha Berlin. The Royal Blues bounced back up at the first time of asking in 2021/22, with Hertha doing the same in 2012/13. If the Old Lady are to repeat the feat, they might need to replicate their efforts of 1980/81, when they set single-season records for most wins (31) and goals scored (123).
Horst Hrubesch holds the individual goals record, having hit 42 for Rot-Weiss Essen in 1977/78. Simon Terodde rattled off 30 for Schalke in 2021/22, becoming the division's outright leading scorer along the way. The 35-year-old begins the new season on 172 goals across 283 appearances in the second division.
Other records to watch out for in 2023/24
- Assuming he stays fit and gets minutes, Terodde could reach 300 Bundesliga 2 games before the winter break.
- John Verhoek (237), Robert Leipertz (219) and Hauke Wahl (218) are closing in on 250, while the likes of Julian Börner (197), Steven Skrzybski (194) and Philip Heise are nearing the 200 club.
- For Dennis Srbeny (99), Robin Bormuth (99) and Branimir Hrgota (96), meanwhile, Bundesliga 2 match no.100 should happen sooner rather than later.
- As for the coaches, Kaiserslautern's Dirk Schuster (171) and Markus Kauczinski (179) of promoted Wehen Wiesbaden are not far off the 200-mark.
- Paderborn's Lukas Kwasniok (70) can reach 100 before the campaign is up.
Matchday 6 probable teams
Will Thomas Müller or Jamal Musiala get the nod for Bayern Munich against RB Leipzig on Saturday?
Will Füllkrug get off the mark for unbeaten Dortmund in Hoffenheim?
Niclas Füllkrug takes his search for his first Borussia Dortmund goals to surprise package Hoffenheim on Friday.
Fantasy tips and picks for Matchday 6
Not sure which players should be in your Fantasy team? bundesliga.com's got you covered...