Dortmund dominated Peter Bosz's first Bundesliga outing as head coach from the get-go, and were rewarded with the opening goal in the 23rd minute. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Mario Götze were involved, combining to tee up Pulisic for a wonderfully struck effort from the edge of the Wolfsburg box. Marc Bartra made it two moments later, with an equally fine curling finish following a short-corner routine.
Wolfsburg's lack of urgency to turn the tide was punished on the hour-mark when Pulisic skipped into the area and crossed for Aubameyang to poke home one of the easiest goals he is ever likely to score. Wolfsburg striker Mario Gomez had a goal ruled out for offside in the 69th minute, a decision confirmed by the Video Assistant Referee, as Dortmund saw out the remainder of a decidedly one-sided encounter with minimum fuss.
Man of the match
With two goals in as many competitive games, Pulisic has laid down a serious marker for the 2017/18 campaign. Wolfsburg simply could not live with him.
Watch: Pulisic delighted with BVB's start
- Pulisic has six goals in 39 Bundesliga appearances.
- Götze made his first competitive appearance for BVB in 202 days.
- Bartra scored his first Bundesliga goal in his 20th appearance in the German top flight.
- Wolfsburg have lost their last five against Dortmund.
- Aubameyang has eight goals in 11 Bundesliga appearances against Wolfsburg.
- Dortmund's Dan-Axel Zagodou and Wolfsburg newcomers Landry Dimata, Ignacio Camacho, Kaylen Hinds and Felix Uduokhai made their Bundesliga debuts.
Wolfsburg: Casteels – Verhaegh, Knoche, Uduokhai, Gerhardt – Camacho, Bazoer (Guilavogui 59') – Blaszczykowski (Dimata 42'), Didavi (Arnold 69'), Hinds – Gomez (c)
Coach: Andries Jonker
Dortmund: Bürki – Piszczek, Sokratis (c), Bartra, Zagadou (Passlack 77') – Sahin, Castro – Philipp, Götze (Dahoud 61'), Pulisic (Kagawa 86') - Aubameyang
Coach: Peter Bosz
Watch: Highlights of Dortmund's win