RB Leipzig lost 2-0 on the night, but advanced to the UEFA Europa League Round of 16 on away goals after the tie finished 3-3 on aggregate.
RB Leipzig 0-2 Napoli (3-3 on agg.)
Leipzig win on away goals
Goals: 0-1 Zielinski (34'), 0-2 Insigne (86')
With it all to do after losing 3-1 on home soil a week earlier, an almost full-strength Napoli asked all the questions of Leipzig in the first half. Peter Gulasci had to be alert to deny Marek Hamsik and Lorenzo Insigne, either side of Lorenzo Tonelli heading a Marcel Sabitzer volley onto the crossbar, but the Hungarian was unable to prevent the Serie A leaders taking the lead late in the half. The Leipzig No.1 could only parry from Insigne, allowing Piotr Zielinski to tuck away the rebound.
Leipzig tried to keep the ball away from Napoli as much as possible after the restart and, for the most part, succeeded. The visitors were largely reduced to speculative efforts from range, with Gulasci getting behind strikes from Dries Mertens and Zielinski. Diving at the feet of Timo Werner, Pepe Reina snuffed out Leipzig's only notable opening of the second period, before Insigne struck with four minutes of normal time remaining. Another Napoli goal would have sent Leipzig crashing out, but Ralph Hasenhüttl's men held on to ensure their debut European voyage continues.
Leipzig: Gulasci - Laimer, Konate, Upamecano, Bernardo - Sabitzer, Demme (c), Kampl, Bruma (Forsberg 73') - Poulsen (Ilsanker 90+1'), Werner (Augustin 85')
Unused subs: Mvogo, Klostermann, Schmitz, Kaiser
Absentees: Halstenberg (knee), Keita (hamstring), Orban (knee)
Coach: Ralph Hasenhüttl
Napoli: Reina - Maggio, Albiol, Tonelli, Rui (Hysaj 68') - Allan, Diawara (Jorginho 82'), Hamsik (c) (Callejon 65') - Zielinski, Mertens, Insigne
Unused subs: Sepe, Koulibaly, Rog, Ounas
Absentees: Milik, Ghoulam (both knee), Chiriches (muscle strain)
Coach: Maurizio Sarri
- Werner is Leipzig’s top scorer this season with 16 goals in all competitions. The 21-year-old has also laid on three assists in the Bundesliga.
- This is Leipzig’s first ever European campaign, having only been promoted to the Bundesliga for the 2016/17 season.
- Leipzig’s first-leg win was only the fourth time Serie A leaders Napoli have lost on home soil this season.
- Dayot Upamecano has completed more passes than any other teenager in Europe’s top five leagues (per UEFA coefficient) this season.
- Leipzig goalkeeper Peter Gulacsi and Napoli counterpart Pepe Reina were teammates at Liverpool in 2008/09.
- Napoli have only won away to German opposition once – beating Wolfsburg 4-1 three seasons ago – losing five times and drawing three.