Goals: 1-0 Sabitzer (23’)
Leipzig boss Ralph Hasenhüttl initially made five changes to the team that beat Porto in the UEFA Champions League on Tuesday but he was forced into another unplanned switch when Bruma pulled up in the warm-up. Sabizter started instead of the Portuguese winger and he made Leipzig’s early control pay midway through the first half. The Austrian curled a left-footed shot over Stuttgart keeper Ron-Robert Zieler from the edge of the box before Timo Werner went close with the home side crusing towards half-time.
Stuttgart’s forwards were feeding off scraps but Takuma Asano got on the end of a Dzenis Burnic long ball to finally test Leipzig netminder Peter Gulacsi early in the second half. The same player was unlucky to see a close-range attempt from Andreas Beck’s low cross clip the outside of the post as the home side began the second half sluggishly. A much-improved Stuttgart ran out of steam though and Sabitzer, Jean-Kevin Augustin and Kevin Kampl all threatened as Leipzig closed out the win.
Watch: Marcel Sabitzer on his match-winning shift against Sttutgart
Leipzig: Gulacsi - Klostermann, Orban (c), Konate, Bernardo - Demme, Keita (Kampl 63') - Sabitzer, Forsberg (Laimer 73') - Poulsen, Werner (Augustin 61')
Coach: Ralph Hasenhüttl
Stuttgart: Zieler - Pavard, Baumgartl, Badstuber - Beck (Brekalo 75'), Insua, Ascacibar, Mangala, Aogo (Burnic 10') - Asano (Akolo 65') - Terodde (c)
Coach: Hannes Wolf
- Sabitzer also scored in the 3-2 win over Borussia Dortmund on Matchday 8.
- Leipzig are the only Bundesliga team to have won their last four matches in a row.
- Only twice before have Stuttgart started a season with five defeats on their travels (1974/75 and 2007/08).
- Leipzig striker Werner is the youngest Bundesliga player (17 years, 164 days) and goalscorer (17 years, 200 days) in Stuttgart history.
- Ibrahima Konate, Leipzig’s 18-year-old centre back, started his first home game for the club.
- With an average age of 23 years and nine months, Leipzig boast the youngest squad in the Bundesliga this season.