The 2015/16 Bundesliga Hinrunde will go down as one of the greatest of all time. And there's no doubt it has been a great first half of the season for Borussia Dortmund defensive midfielder Ilkay Gündogan, too, who made the Team of the Hinrunde, as voted for by our Twitter followers.
The Germany star was the clear favourite of voters in both the @Bundesliga_EN and @bundesliga_de polls, the former 1. FC Nürnberg player picking up 14,747 votes in total. Gündogan gained 55 per cent in the @Bundesliga_EN vote and 36 per cent among voters on @bundesliga_de to secure his position in our Team of the Hinrunde.
Club: Borussia Dortmund
- Gündogan has once again established himself as Borussia Dortmund’s heartbeat and is averaging 101 touches per game.
- Boasts the highest tally of touches of any Bundesliga player with 1,394.
- The German international’s previous back problems are hardly hindering him: he has won 56 per cent of his challenges.
- Has completed 67 per cent of his dribbles.
Club: FC Bayern München
- The Spaniard is always on the ball enjoying an average of 120 touches per game, a Bundesliga best-mark in the current campaign.
- A record of winning 59 per cent of his challenges also speaks in Alonso’s favour.
- 62 per cent of his long balls have reached their intended target.
Club: Borussia Mönchengladbach
- The engine in the centre of the park and joins Gündogan in averaging 101 touches per game, a feat only bettered by Alonso and Rafinha.
- Has raised his game going forward scoring three times, more than his previous three campaigns combined.
- Put Andre Schubert's mid-game instructions to particularly good use on Matchday 14.
Club: Hamburger SV
- Has stepped up as one of Hamburg’s consistent performers and has already had a hand in more goals this season than he did in the previous campaign (two goals, one assist).
- Loves getting stuck in and has made the most challenges of any Hamburg player (351 – 52 per cent win rate).
- Covers over 12km per game on average.
- See how the former FC Schalke 04 man fares against the clock in Shoot!, the quick-fire Q&A presented by TagHeuer.