- Mario Gomez could make Wolfsburg debut on Matchday 2.
- Wolves and Köln victorious on opening weekend.
- Billy Goats unbeaten in six away games
The Wolves beat FC Augsburg 2-0 on Matchday 1 without Gomez, but the 31-year-old Germany international is expected to feature this weekend after scoring the only goal and completing 85 minutes of a recent friendly win over SG Dynamo Dresden following injury.
Like Wolfsburg, the Billy Goats turned in a slick performance on Matchday 1, registering a at home to SV Darmstadt 98. Not even a thunderstorm, the threat of lightning and an eight-minute interruption could get in their way, setting up an intriguing clash at the Volkswagen Arena.
- Wolfsburg and Köln are level on points and goal difference in second place. For Köln, it is their best position in the standings for 19 years.
- The Wolves have won their last three Bundesliga matches dating back to last season.
- Köln are looking to start the season with back-to-back Bundesliga wins for the first time in 11 years; Wolfsburg for the first time in seven years.
- Yannick Gerhardt is set to make his home debut for Wolfsburg against his former club. The midfielder made 45 Bundesliga and 29 Bundesliga 2 appearances in a Köln shirt.
- Köln are unbeaten in six Bundesliga matches dating back to last season. The Billy Goats last enjoyed such a run seven-and-a-half years ago under Christoph Daum.
- Anthony Modeste has scored more goals against Wolfsburg (five) than against any other Bundesliga club.
The Venue: Volkswagen Arena
Wolfsburg: Casteels - Träsch, Knoche, Bruma, Rodriguez - Gerhardt, Gustavo - Blaszczykowski, Didavi, Draxler - Gomez
Absentees: Guilavogui (neck), Vieirinha (ankle), Ascues (thigh)
Head coach: Dieter Hecking
Köln: Müller - Sörensen, Mavraj, Heintz - Risse, Lehmann, Höger, Hector - Bittencourt, Modeste, Rudnevs
Absentees: Kessler (knee ligaments), Horn (adductor), Rausch (back)
Head coach: Peter Stöger