With a third of the 2015/16 season done and dusted, bundesliga.com is checking in with all 18 clubs to see where they are at after 12 matches.
A European adventure has thus far not been enough to hide FC Augsburg's woes in the Bundesliga.
The story so far
This was supposed to be the season that Augsburg reached new heights. Having qualified automatically for the UEFA Europa League after a fifth-place finish in 2014/15, the club was awash with optimism for this campaign. Reality has bitten, though.
Despite a recent double over AZ Alkmaar in the UEFA Europa League, Augsburg have been left licking their wounds on the domestic front. They have managed to win just one of their opening 12 games, and have been rooted to the bottom since Matchday 9. Injuries have not helped, but Markus Weinzierl's men need to rediscover their form quickly if they are to turn things around.
- Augsburg's midfielders have been trigger-happy, firing in 107 efforts on goal – more than any other side.
- Die Fuggerstädter have yet to concede a goal from a cross.
- 46 per cent of the club's goals have come from set-piece situations – more than any other side in the Bundesliga.
- Full-back Paul Verhaegh is Augsburg's top goalscorer this season with five goals – each from the penalty spot.
- Caiuby has scored one and set up two this season – last term he managed only two assists in 21 appearances.
Despite Augsburg conceding 25 goals already this season, goalkeeper Marwin Hitz has been the club's stand-out performer by a considerable distance. His finest hour came in Augsburg's 1-0 UEFA Europa League win over AZ Alkmaar, their first in European competition. On the domestic front, the Swiss custodian has also caught the eye - even in results such as the 5-1 defeat to Dortmund.
Most memorable quote
"I'm lost for words. There is nothing good to say about this game."
Goalkeeper Marwin Hitz after FCA's 5-1 defeat at the hands of Borussia Dortmund.
Not an entirely new face at the WWK Arena Ja-Cheol Koo returned to the club in the summer after spells at VfL Wolfsburg and 1. FSV Mainz 05. Like most of Augsburg's outfield troops, he is yet to reach his best level, but with two goals in nine appearances, he has certainly outshone the club's other summer signings.
Explore Augsburg's difficult season so far by clicking on the link to our .