Jonjoe Kenny’s long-range strike cancelled out Robert Andrich’s earlier opener as Schalke came from behind to earn a point away at Union Berlin.
Union Berlin 1-1 Schalke
Goals: 1-0 Andrich (11’), 1-1 Kenny (28’)
Both sides came into this game at the Stadion an der Alten Försterei in poor form since the Bundesliga’s resumption, but Union were quickest out the blocks as Marius Bülter teed up Yunus Malli inside just five minutes, but he placed his effort from close range straight at Schalke goalkeeper Alexander Nübel. The hosts made no mistake with their next effort, though, countering from a free-kick through Anthony Ujah, who picked out Robert Andrich ahead of him to round off the break with his first Bundesliga goal. The Berliners dominated the opening 20 minutes, but were stunned just before the half-hour mark when Everton loanee Jonjoe Kenny unleashed a rocket from 25 yards to level proceedings with the Royal Blues’ first effort on goal.
The second half proved a tense affair with the play regularly interrupted by fouls in midfield. It meant chances were at a premium and neither goalkeeper was really tested. Rabbi Matondo had Schalke’s best opportunity when his effort on the stretch went over the bar, meaning Rafal Gikiewicz went the entire game without making a save. The best chance, though, fell to Marvin Friedrich when a Christopher Trimmel corner was flicked on, but Nübel rescued Schalke. The draw extends both sides’ winless runs in the league, with Union now on a seven-game wait for three points and Schalke even longer at 12 matches. It leaves Die Eisernen four points clear of Fortuna Düsseldorf in 16th and the relegation play-off, while the Royal Blues remain in the bottom half of the table.
- Andrich finally scored his first Bundesliga goal with his 48th shot of the campaign, which was the most by a player in 2019/20 without scoring.
- Ujah recorded his first Bundesliga assist with Union.
- Kenny netted his second Bundesliga goal, with his first coming against the league’s other capital club, Hertha Berlin.
- Ahmed Kutucu came off the bench for the 21st time this season, which is the most of any player in the league and sets a new club record.
- Union are on their longest winless run since gaining promotion for the first time (seven matches).
- Schalke have just eight points from their 13 games in 2020. It surpasses their negative record of nine from last season.
Watch: Kenny: "I've had a few chances recently"
Union: Gikiewicz - Friedrich, Schlotterbeck, Hübner - Trimmel (c), Gentner (Ingvartsen 78’), Andrich, Bülter – Malli (Prömel 69’) – Andersson, Ujah (Mees 78’)
Unused subs: Nicolas, Subotic, Reichel, Abdullahi, Kroos, Parensen
Out: Becker (thigh), Gogia (match fitness), Lenz (unknown), Polter (not included), Ryerson (knee)
Coach: Urs Fischer
Schalke: Nübel - Kabak, Sane, Miranda - Kenny (Becker 89'), Caligiuri, Schöpf, Oczipka (c) – Raman (Kutucu 60’), Gregoritsch, Matondo (Boujellab 83')
Unused subs: Schubert, Thiaw, Mercan, Bozdogan
Out: Harit (ligament), Mascarell (groin), McKennie (suspended), Serdar (knee), Stambouli (match fitness), Todibo (ankle)
Coach: David Wagner
Watch: Andrich: "It would be phenomenal to stay up"