Yussuf Poulsen scored a hat-trick and there were goals for Emil Forsberg and full Bundesliga debutant Amadou Haidara as RB Leipzig consolidated third place with a crushing 5-0 win at home to Hertha Berlin.
Goals: 1-0 Forsberg (17'), 2-0 Poulsen (27'), 3-0 Poulsen (56'), 4-0 Poulsen (62'), 5-0 Haidara (64')
Leipzig were unrelenting in a game played entirely on their terms as Timo Werner and Poulsen provided a taster of things to come in a chance-laden opening period. Forsberg tickled the side netting with a free-kick the majority of the Red Bull Arena thought had fallen the right side of the post, but the Swede got the party started for real in the 17th minute when he collected Kevin Kampl’s dinked pass and swept into the roof of the net for 1-0. Fed by strike partner in crime Werner, Poulsen rounded off a trademark counter to double the home side’s lead before the contest was even a half hour old.
There was little to suggest a way back for Hertha as Werner blazed wide with the goal at his mercy soon after the restart. The Germany striker had another glorious opening in the 55th minute, but his effort was parried behind by Rune Jarstein. Fabian Lustenberger cleared Ibrahima Konate's header off the line from the ensuing corner, but the respite was short-lived. Forsberg outfoxed Niklas Stark on the edge of the box, before slipping in Poulsen for his second of the night. Poulsen completed his hat-trick by way of an outrageous chipped finish and Haidara - the latter courtesy of a fine Tyler Adams assist - got in on the act in a devastating two-minute spell. Davie Selke spurned a consolation chance late on as former club Leipzig celebrated their 50th Bundesliga win in style.
- Poulsen is the first player in Leipzig's Bundesliga history to score a hat-trick. He only had four shots on goals.
- Poulsen is also the third Dane to post 14 or more goals in a single Bundesliga season after Ebbe Sand and Allan Simonsen.
- Leipzig have not conceded a goal in 428 Bundesliga minutes.
- Haidara was making his first start for Leipzig, after enjoying a run-out as a substitute on Matchday 26.
- Leipzig have scored at least twice in all six of their Bundesliga meetings with Hertha to date.
- Leipzig have won all 15 of the games in which Poulsen or Werner have scored this season.
Leipzig: Gulacsi – Mukiele (Laimer 65'), Konate, Orban (c), Halstenberg – Kampl, Adams, Haidara, Forsberg (Sabitzer 75') – Poulsen (Cunha 70'), Werner
Unused subs: Mvogo, Saracchi, Ilsanker, Bruma
Out: Klostermann (groin), Upamecano (knee), Nukan (ankle), Smith Rowe (groin)
Coach: Ralf Rangnick
Hertha: Jarstein – Stark, Lustenberger (Klünter 59'), Rekik – Lazaro, Maier (Skjelbred 77'), Grujic, Mittelstädt – Duda – Selke, Kalou (c) (Leckie 75')
Unused subs: Kraft, Pekarik, Plattenhardt, Jastrzembski
Out: Darida (thigh), Dilrosun (thigh), Ibisevic (suspended), Luckassen (ankle), Torunarigha (suspended)
Coach: Pal Dardai
Watch: Poulsen: "5-0 the same as 1-0"