Marco Richter scored for a second successive Bundesliga match as Hertha Berlin emerged 1-0 winners over Borussia Mönchengladbach in the German capital on Saturday.
The visitors started brightly in the capital and were awarded a penalty after just eight minutes after Joe Scally went over in the box, but the decision was overturned by the referee after intervention from his video assistant and a consultation with the pitchside monitor. Gladbach remained camped inside the home side's half and Breel Embolo was next to threaten as the Switzerland international fired over 10 minutes later following a neat exchange with Lars Stindl on the edge of the Hertha box. Despite their dominance, Gladbach found themselves behind shortly before the break as Richter's acrobatic volley into the ground looped beyond Yann Sommer and into the far corner to give Hertha the lead against the run of play.
Adi Hütter called upon Florian Neuhaus and Alassane Plea at the start of the second-half, with former Hertha youngester Luca Netz and captain Stindl making way. They were unable to make an immediate impact, however, as the away side started the second period in much more sluggish fashion than the first. The hosts, meanwhile, gained more and more control as the game wore on. And when Plea did have the ball in the back of the net, it was swiftly ruled out for an offside in the build-up as Gladbach huffed and puffed without success. Hertha held firm to pick up a second successive league win that lifts them above the visitors and into 10th place.
- After going seven games without a league goal at the start of the season, Richter has now scored in successive Bundesliga matches.
- This was Hertha's first top-flight clean sheet in 2021/22.
- The Old Lady remain one of only two teams in the Bundesliga (along with Dortmund) yet to draw a game this season (W4, L5).
- Hertha ended a run of four games without victory over Gladbach, who had won one and drawn three of the previous four matches.
- The Foals' three-game unbeaten Bundesliga run (W2, D1) also came to an end.
- Meanwhile, Hertha coach Pal Dardai extends his own unbeaten run against Gladbach to four matches (W3, D1).
Watch: Hofmann: "It was bad today"
Hertha: Schwolow - Pekarik, Boyata (c), M. Dardai (Tousart 80'), Plattenhardt - Ascacibar, Serdar (Gechter 80') - Richter (Maolida 61'), Darida (Ekkelenkamp 61'), Mittelstädt - Piatek (Selke 74')
Unused subs: Christensen, Belfodil, Jovetic, Boateng
Out: Klünter (shoulder), Stark (groin), Torunarigha (thigh), Zeefuik (groin)
Coach: Pal Dardai
Gladbach: Sommer - Beyer, Elvedi, Bensebaini - Scally, Zakaria, Kone (Herrmann 74'), Netz (Neuhaus 46') - Hofmann, Stindl (c) (Plea 46') - Embolo
Unused subs: Sippel, Wolf, Benes, Jantschke, Noß, Bennetts
Out: Doucoure (Achilles), Ginter (cold), Kramer (thigh), Lainer (ankle), Thuram (knee)
Coach: Adi Hütter
Watch: Piatek on Hertha's mentality