Hannover were officially relegated from the Bundesliga on Matchday 33 despite beating Freiburg 3-0 at home.
Hannover 3-0 Freiburg
Goals: 1-0 Anton (39’), 2-0 Bebou (51’), 3-0 Walace (81')
Hannover pushed for an early lead knowing that they needed to win if they wanted to stand any chance of surviving. Top scorer Hendrik Weydandt was spearheading the charge with a number of efforts on goal but failed to even test Freiburg goalkeeper Alexander Schwolow. Ihlas Bebou also fired over the bar when through on goal after fine link-up play with Weydandt. Hannover continued to carve out chances and the sheer weight of their pressure eventually told when Waldemar Anton headed home a long free-kick from Edgar Prib for a half-time lead.
Hannover picked up where they left off after the break, and Bebou doubled the lead when he turned home Linton Maina’s cross into the box unchallenged. It was his fourth goal in his last five Bundesliga games and Hannover will be left wondering what could have been if he hadn’t been out injured since November. Thomas Doll’s side continued to press and substitute Walace added a third with a thumping effort, but it was all to no avail as VfB Stuttgart’s win over Wolfsburg ensured that Hannover’s fate was sealed no matter what they did.
- Despite the win, Hannover’s two-year Bundesliga spell has come to an end.
- Bebou made his first appearance since November, taking his total for the season to four goals. Only Weydandt has more for Hannover (six).
- Anton’s goal was his first in the Bundesliga since February 2018 and also came at home to Freiburg.
- It was the third goal of Anton’s Bundesliga career, but the first header.
- Hannover scored three goals under coach Doll for the first time.
- Nils Petersen made his 100th Bundesliga appearance for Freiburg, over two months after his last game.
Hannover: Esser – Haraguchi, Sorg, Anton, Ostrzolek – Bebou (Albornoz 79'), Bakalorz (c), Schwegler (Walace 54’), Prib (Füllkrug 86'), Maina – Weydandt
Unused subs: Sahin-Radlinger, Elez, Müller, Muslija
Out: Akpoguma (shoulder), Felipe (foot), Hübers (knee), Jonathas (suspended), Sarenren Bazee (shin), Wimmer (suspended), Wood (kidney)
Coach: Thomas Doll
Freiburg: Schwolow – Stenzel (Sallai 46’), K. Schlotterbeck, Heintz, Günter – Frantz (c), Höfler, Koch, Grifo – Petersen (Höler 76’), Niederlechner (Waldschmidt 46’)
Unused subs: Flekken, Abrashi, Terrazzino, Gondorf
Out: Gulde (back), Haberer (suspended), Kleindienst (knee), Kübler (ankle), Kath (groin), Okoroji (hamstring)
Coach: Christian Streich