Fortuna Düsseldorf finished in tenth on their first year back in the top flight after two second-half goals gave them victory over relegated Hannover.
Fortuna Düsseldorf 2-1 Hannover
Goals: 1-0 Hennings (56’), 2-0 Karaman (60’), 2-1 Müller (78’)
Linton Maina had an early effort deflected wide for the visitors before Kenan Karaman almost got Düsseldorf in front. The Turkey international turned his man smartly inside the area, but his shot lacked the power to beat Samuel Sahin-Radlinger, who was making his Bundesliga debut in the visiting goal. Benito Raman also threatened down the left for the home side but the best chance of the opening half fell to Hannover striker Hendrik Weydandt, who was unmarked when he headed wide from an inch-perfect Maina cross.
Ten minutes into the second half the impressive Maina went even closer, with the Germany U19 winger jinking his way into the penalty area before smashing against the bar. Seconds later, it was Düsseldorf who took the lead instead. Raman punished some hesitant defending on the right by cutting the ball back for stand-in captain Rouwen Hennings to finish first time. Togo international Ihlas Bebou almost conjured an instant response for the visitors, but his rasping strike from distance was pushed behind by home keeper Michael Rensing. Düsseldorf’s Andre Hoffmann then had a goal chalked off for offside, before substitute Nicolai Müller scored a fine consolation goal for Hannover.
- Nine of Düsseldorf’s 13 wins in 2018/19 came at home.
- Six of Hennings' seven Bundesliga goals this season came in front of his own support.
- Karaman also scored for the second home match running to finish the season with three league goals.
- Hannover have been relegated for the sixth time in their Bundesliga history. Only Nuremberg and Arminia Bielefeld have been relegated more often.
- Along with bottom club Nuremberg, the visitors finished the campaign without an away win. This was their twelfth defeat from 17 matches on the road.
- Hannover and Augsburg finished with the worst defence in this season’s top flight, conceding 71 goals.
Düsseldorf: Rensing – Zimmermann, Ayhan, Hoffmann, Gießelmann – Lukebakio (Barkok 79'), Stöger (Morales 89'), Kaminski, Raman – Karaman (Fink 79') – Hennings (c)
Unused subs: Drobny, Suttner, Bormuth, Usami
Out: Bodzek (suspended), Zimmer (ankle)
Coach: Friedhelm Funkel
Hannover: Sahin-Radlinger – Sorg, Anton, Ostrzolek – Haraguchi, Walace (Müller 70'), Schwegler (c), Maina (Albornoz 77') – Prib (Muslija 70') – Bebou, Weydandt
Unused subs: Esser, Korb, Fossum, Wimmer
Out: Akpoguma (shoulder), Felipe (foot), Sarenren Bazee (shin), Wood (stomach bug), Hübers (knee)
Coach: Thomas Doll