Kingsley Coman hit two as Bayern Munich moved back above Borussia Dortmund to the top of the Bundesliga with a comfortable 4-1 win at Fortuna Düsseldorf.
Fortuna Düsseldorf 1-4 Bayern Munich
Goals: 0-1 Coman (15'), 0-2 Coman (42'), 0-3 Gnabry (55'), 1-3 Lukebakio (89' pen.), 1-4 Goretzka (90+2')
Bayern took the lead when Kingsley Coman, who had gone agonisingly close with an earlier effort, cut in from the left and delivered a cross which ultimately did not need a touch from Thomas Müller as it curled inside the far post. Robert Lewandowski curled an effort inches wide of the post as Bayern almost grabbed a second midway through the first half, but they had to be careful on the break as Benito Raman almost punished them with an effort which just cleared the crossbar. Coman then sent another effort goalwards before accepting an assist from Joshua Kimmich to rifle his and Bayern's second into the top left-hand corner, while Javi Martinez was denied a third just before the break as former Bayern goalkeeper Michael Rensing tipped his header over.
Bayern kept Rensing busy in the early stages of the second half before one of his successors in the Bayern goal, Manuel Neuer, pulled up and had to be replaced in what was a worrying sight for Bayern fans. Serge Gnabry lifted their spirits soon after, though, as he met Müller's flick for the easiest of goals at the far post. Bayern proceeded to play the ball around with confidence, waiting patiently for a chance to land a fourth blow, while Dodi Lukebakio – Fortuna's hat-trick hero in the reverse fixture – came on and scored Fortuna's late consolation from the penalty spot, before substitute Leon Goretzka added a fourth for Bayern from close range.
- Niko Kovac celebrated his 50th win as a coach in the Bundesliga.
- Coman equalled and bettered his best single-season haul with his fourth and fifth goals of the campaign – his third Bundesliga brace and second in his past six games.
- Gnabry has scored in four of Bayern's past five Bundesliga games.
- With this win, Bayern became the first Bundesliga club to secure their place in next season's UEFA Champions League group stage.
- Despite defeat, promoted Düsseldorf have secured a second successive season of Bundesliga football for the first time since 1996.
- The Bavarians have won the title on 23 of the 25 occasions in which they have topped the table after Matchday 28.
Fortuna: Rensing - Zimmermann, Ayhan, Hoffmann, Kaminski – Stöger, Sobottka (Morales 67'), Raman – Barkok – Kownacki (Usami 80'), Hennings (c) (Lukebakio 68')
Unused subs: Thießen, Ducksch, Karaman, Bormuth
Out: Bodzek (unknown), Contento (knee ligaments), Drobny (hand), Fink (foot), Gießelmann (calf), Zimmer (ankle)
Coach: Friedhelm Funkel
Bayern: Neuer (c) (Ulreich 53') - Kimmich, Süle, Hummels, Alaba - Martinez, Thiago - Gnabry, Müller (Goretzka 70'), Coman (James 80') – Lewandowski
Unused subs: Boateng, Davies, Mai, Sanches
Out: Davies (knee), Früchtl (elbow), Rafinha (illness), Ribery (illness), Robben (calf), Tolisso (knee)
Coach: Niko Kovac