Kevin Volland starred as Bayer Leverkusen made it two wins from two to start the season with a comfortable 3-1 victory away to Rhineland rivals Fortuna Düsseldorf.
Fortuna Düsseldorf 1-3 Bayer Leverkusen
Goals: 0-1 Baker (o.g. 6'), 0-2 Aranguiz, (33') 0-3 Bellarabi (39'), 1-3 Morales (82')
Volland signalled Leverkusen’s intent with a well-struck effort US international Zack Steffen did well to save inside five minutes. The Fortuna goalkeeper was picking the ball out of his net 60 seconds later, though, when Lewis Baker inadvertently turned over the line after a driving run and cross from Volland. Markus Suttner cleared off the line from Lars Bender, before Charles Aranguiz converted a Kerem Demirbay set-piece to make it two - the goal standing following a VAR check for a possible handball. Karim Bellarabi added a third, side-footing beyond Steffen following another mazy Volland run.
Fortuna had a mountain to climb, and it might have been worse for the hosts had Leon Bailey got his angles right when played clean though on goal shortly after the restart. Steffen made the save with his feet and, after Baker’s shot in anger made Lukas Hradecky work at the other end, Fortuna were indebted to the Manchester City loanee once again for denying Bellarabi. Alfredo Morales thundered an effort wide before reducing the arrears from close range, but Leverkusen held on for a win that takes them level on points with coach Peter Bosz's former club, Borussia Dortmund, at the top of the standings.
- Leverkusen have won six of their last seven, dating back to last season.
- Die Werkself have scored 49 goals in 19 Bundesliga matches under Peter Bosz.
- Volland assisted four of Leverkusen's 10 shots on goal prior to his substitution.
- Aranguiz has scored at least once in all five of his seasons as a Bundesliga player, but never more than twice.
- Morales scored his fourth Bundesliga goal. The Berlin-born USA international has made 84 appearances in the German top tier.
- Baker's opener was Fortuna's first own goal in the Bundesliga since April 2013.
Watch: Aranguiz: “Aim to reach the top”
Düsseldorf: Steffen – Zimmermann, Ayhan, Hoffmann, Gießelmann – Morales, Baker (Bodzek 67') – Thommy, Karaman (Kownacki 59'), Suttner (Tekpetey 46') – Hennings (c)
Unused subs: Kastenmeier, Adams, Fink, Piedl, Sobottka, Zimmer
Out: Ampomah (groin), Barkok (shoulder), Rensing (shoulder), Stöger (cruciate ligament), Wolf (inner ear)
Coach: Friedhelm Funkel
Leverkusen: Hradecky – Tah, S. Bender, Wendell – L. Bender (c), Demirbay (Amiri 83'), Aranguiz, Bailey (Diaby 66') – Havertz, Volland (Alario 77'), Bellarabi
Unused subs: Özcan, Retsos, Dragovic, Paulinho, Baumgartlinger, Sinkgraven
Out: Pohjanpalo (ankle), Weiser (bruised foot)
Coach: Peter Bosz