Almamy Toure scored a fantastic first Bundesliga goal to help Eintracht Frankfurt stun league leaders RB Leipzig, with Filip Kostic sealing the win late on.
Eintracht Frankfurt 2-0 RB Leipzig
Goals: 1-0 Toure (48'), 2-0 Kostic (90+4')
Leipzig had scored a Bundesliga record three goals in each of their last four away games ahead of their trip to Frankfurt and came out with the intention of making it a fifth game in a row. Julian Nagelsmann's side registered a total of 12 shots on goal in the first half with Timo Werner and Patrik Schick producing the bulk of them. Werner came closest to scoring with a chance after eight minutes, but Kevin Trapp was equal to it in the home side’s goal. Christopher Nkunku and Marcel Sabitzer were also seeing plenty of the ball in promising areas, but Leipzig couldn't make their chances count in a one-sided first half.
After enduring the Leipzig onslaught for 45 minutes, it took Frankfurt just their second shot of the game and three second-half minutes to take the lead, with French defender Toure sticking away a fierce half-volley from the edge of the Leipzig box. The away side quickly came back into the game, controlling possession and trying to unlock Frankfurt's two banks of four. Nagelsmann brought on Yussuf Poulsen, Ademola Lookman and Emil Forsberg as Leipzig went into all-out attack mode, albeit without seriously testing Trapp. Frankfurt had the last word as Kostic - a constant outlet on the counter-attack - tapped home in added time to seal an incredible win for the Eagles.
- Toure scored his first Bundesliga goal on his 18th appearance.
- Leipzig are yet to win in eight encounters with the Eagles, continuing their worst run against any Bundesliga side.
- Kostic scored his second goal of the season. His other came against Bayern Munich.
- Leipzig were held from scoring for the first time this season. Frankfurt also stopped a run of Leipzig scoring at least three goals in their last four Bundesliga away games.
- The Commerzbank-Arena is one of only three Bundesliga grounds where Leipzig have never won, drawing two and losing two there.
- New Leipzig signing Dani Olmo was unavailable for selection today.
Watch: Bas Dost reacts to Almamy Toure's wonder strike against Leipzig
Frankfurt: Trapp - Toure, Abraham (c), Hinteregger, N'Dicka - Chandler (da Costa 89'), Sow, Rode, Kostic - Gacinovic (Kohr 90'+2) – Dost (Paciencia 77')
Unused subs: Rönnow, Joveljic, Kamada, Hasebe, Durm, Silva
Out: Fernandes (hip), Russ (Achilles tendon), Torro (thigh)
Coach: Adi Hütter
Leipzig: Gulacsi - Mukiele, Upamecano, Halstenberg – Adams (Lookman 71'), Laimer (Poulsen 66'), Sabitzer (c), Nkunku – Haidara (Forsberg 80'), Werner - Schick
Unused subs: Mvogo, Ilsanker, Wolf, Ampadu, Krauß
Out: Cunha (international duty), Kampl (ankle), Klostermann (knee), Konate (hamstring), Orban (knee)
Coach: Julian Nagelsmann