Franck Ribery hit a brace to ensure Bayern Munich remain within touching distance of Bundesliga leaders Borussia Dortmund, scoring in either half to pave the way to a 3-0 victory away to Eintracht Frankfurt.
Eintracht Frankfurt 0-3 Bayern Munich
Goals: 0-1 Ribery (35'), 0-2 Ribery (79'), 0-3 Rafinha (88')
This game was billed as headline fixture on Matchday 17 and it did not disappoint. The opening minutes flew by in a blur of chances at both ends, as Danny Da Costa, Sebastien Haller and Luka Jovic all spurned glorious opportunities to score for the hosts early on. Bayern soon replied and after David Alaba went close with a free-kick, Kevin Trapp made an outrageous double save to keep out headers from Javi Martinez and Thomas Müller. A goal was coming and eventually it was Bayern who got it as Ribery arrived at the back post to finish off a swift counter-attack.
The second half carried on where the first left off and Da Costa could have equalised following a corner, but could not adjust his feet quickly enough to a bouncing ball with only Manuel Neuer to beat. As was the case before the interval, Frankfurt would come to rue their lack of a cutting edge when Ribery punished them once again, playing a one-two with Joshua Kimmich on the edge of the box before tucking in at the near post. Rafinha sealed the points late on, his attempted cross to the back post floating over Trapp and into the top corner.
- Ribery has now scored in his last three Bundesliga matches. The last time he did so was in February 2015.
- Mijat Gacinovic made his 100thcompetitive game for Frankfurt in this game; Jovic his 50th.
- Rafinha scored his first Bundesliga goal of the season here. His last goal also came against Frankfurt, back in April 2018.
- Mats Hummels was due to start but pulled out in the warm-up and was replaced by Jerome Boateng.
- Bayern only had five substitutes rather than the customary seven, owing to injuries and suspensions.
- This was Bayern's fifth successive Bundesliga win; four of those victories have been accompanied by a clean sheet.
Frankfurt: Trapp - Salcedo, Falette, N'Dicka - da Costa, Fernandes (c) (Müller 69'), Gacinovic (de Guzman 43'), Willems - Kostic - Haller, Jovic
Unused subs: Rönnow, Stendera, Russ, Tawatha, Hrgota
Out: Abraham (calf), Allan (knee), Chandler (knee), Hasebe (thigh), Paciencia (knee), Torro (pelvis), Rebic (unknown)
Coach: Adi Hütter
Bayern: Neuer (c) - Rafinha, Süle, Boateng, Alaba - Kimmich, Martinez – Müller (Shabani 90'), Thiago, Ribery (Coman 90') – Lewandowski (Wagner 90')
Unused subs: Ulreich, Mai
Out: Gnabry (adductor), James (knee), Robben (thigh), Sanches (suspended), Tolisso (knee), Goretzka (adductor), Hummels (back)
Coach: Niko Kovac
Berisha strikes again in Augsburg win
The in-form forward hit his sixth goal of the season as the Bavarians moved clear of the relegation zone with victory over Leverkusen.
Matchday 19 probable teams
Will Joao Cancelo start once again for Bayern on Matchday 19?
Dortmund vs. Freiburg: how do they stack up?
Ahead of a top-five clash that pits title contenders Borussia Dortmund against Freiburg on Saturday, bundesliga.com assesses the terrain.