Iago fired home just his second ever Bundesliga goal to help Augsburg extended their unbeaten run at Cologne to 12 matches with a late winner to start 2021.
Augsburg had gone without defeat in each of their previous 11 visits to Cologne, and the away side thought they were ahead just eight minutes into 2021 on Saturday. Florian Niederlechner headed in what would have been his first goal of the campaign, but the offside flag curtailed his celebrations. Two minutes later and Marco Richter's fierce shot at the near post forced a good save from Timo Horn as the visitors started on the front foot. A return to a three-man backline pushed Augsburg further up the pitch, but Cologne's improving defence stood firm from then on. The first and only shot on target of the first half, in the end, came from Cologne as Sebastiaan Bornauw met Ondrej Duda's corner in front of goal but had to watch Rafal Gikiewicz claw the ball away off his own goal-line.
Cologne came flying out of the blocks in the second half with Marius Wolf's shot deflecting off Tobias Strobl and forcing a fine reflex save from Gikiewicz. Augsburg continued to control the majority of the possession, but chances were hard to come by for Heiko Herrlich's side, who have scored just 15 times in 14 league games this season. Wolf was again the man in front of goal with the next best chance of the game on 69 minutes, but he howled his shot wide from 10 yards out. Cologne were almost made to rue their chances again as Niederlechner slotted home for the second time in the game minutes later, only to see the offside flag raised to rule it out once more. Just as Niederlechner thought his luck had run out, the striker turned provider for a change of fortunes as he played a superb low cross for Iago to tap home in front of Horn to open the scoring late on. Richter stung the hands of Horn once more late on as Augsburg held on to continue their unbeaten run at the RheinEnergieStadion.
- Augsburg are unbeaten in their last 12 Bundesliga meetings with Cologne (W6, D6).
- Iago scored just his second ever Bundesliga goal in his 20th appearance in the league. His last strike coming against Hoffenheim in December 2019.
- Die Fuggerstädter have scored nine of their 16 league goals this season in the final 15 minutes of matches.
- Cologne have claimed just two of their 11 points this season on home soil, where they are winless in a club record 13 matches since beating Schalke 3-0 on 29 February 2020.
- The Billy Goats have now conceded 18 goals at home this season in eight matches.
- Anthony Modeste came on to make his 100th appearance for Cologne.
Cologne: T. Horn (c) - Mere, Bornauw, Czichos (Limnios 82') - Wolf, Özcan (Drexler 82'), Skhiri, Rexhbecaj (Modeste 61'), Katterbach (Arokodare 87') - Thielmann (Hector 61'), Duda
Unused subs: Zieler, Schmitz, J. Horn, Cestic
Out: Andersson (knee), Ehizibue (not included), Jakobs (muscular), Kainz (knee)
Coach: Markus Gisdol
Augsburg: Gikiewicz - Oxford, Gouweleeuw (c), Uduokhai - Caligiuri, Strobl, Gruezo (Khedira 90'+2), Iago - Vargas (Hahn 71') - Richter (Gregoritsch 89'), Niederlechner
Unused subs: Koubek, Gumny, Pedersen, Suchy, Civeja, Berisha
Out: Bazee (knee), Finnbogason (muscular), Framberger (muscular), Jensen (ankle), Moravek (thigh)
Coach: Heiko Herrlich