Marco Reus will lead Borussia Dortmund out in their third pre-season friendly of the summer as they begin their USA tour with a game against San Diego Loyal on Friday (kick-off: 4.30am CEST / Thursday 7.30pm PST).
- Check out all the Bundesliga fixtures for 2023/24
- Get your hands on Dortmund’s new kit
- All the Bundesliga summer transfers
- German clubs on tour in 2023
- Pre-season fixtures and results
- 5 reasons to look forward to the 2023/24 season
Reus has scored three goals across Dortmund’s three warm-up games so far, striking twice in a 7-0 win over Westfalia Rhynern and then again in a 3-2 success over Rot-Weiß Oberhausen. After leaving Germany on Monday, Edin Terzic’s charges arrive in California for an 11-day tour of the US that will also encompass games against Manchester United in Las Vegas and Chelsea in Chicago before returning home on 4 August. Summer signings Ramy Bensebaini and Felix Nmecha are among the travelling party as BVB look to mount another title challenge after narrowly missing out on the Meisterschale last season, while there will be plenty of focus on USA international Gio Reyna in his homeland.
It is fair to say that Dortmund are the biggest team San Diego have faced in their short history. Founded in 2019 by USA legend and California native Landon Donovan – who had spells in the Bundesliga with Bayer Leverkusen and Bayern Munich in the early 2000s – they currently play in the United Soccer League, a rung down from the MLS in the US soccer pyramid. Head coach Nate Miller’s charges sit in fourth place in the Western Conference standings at present, having won eight of their 19 league matches so far, and are five points behind frontrunners Sacramento Republic FC. Evan Conway is the main dangerman up front with eight goals to his name, while Tunmi Moshobane is the division’s joint-top assist provider with five.
Watch: Highlights of Dortmund’s win over Rot-Weiß Oberhausen
- Dortmund have scored 12 goals in pre-season so far, conceding just three.
- Reyna provided two assists in his last outing on USA soil, helping the Stars and Stripes beat Canada 2-0 in the Gold Cup final on 19 June this year.
- Reyna is one of just seven players still in the squad that were also present on BVB's last Stateside trip in 2019, alongside Reus, Marius Wolf, Thorgan Hazard, Mats Hummels, Mateu Morey and Julian Brandt.
- As part of that visit, Dortmund beat the Seattle Sounders 3-1 before defeating then-reigning European champions Liverpool 3-2 in Indiana.
- Donovan made six Bundesliga appearances for Bayern in the 2008/09 season, including one in a 3-1 Klassiker triumph against a Dortmund side that included current sporting director Sebastian Kehl in February 2009.
- At 34, Hummels is the oldest player in the BVB squad, and is twice the age of the youngest member, 17-year-old Julien Duranville. Indeed, Hummels made his Bundesliga debut in May 2007, shortly after Duranville celebrated his first birthday.
Dortmund: Kobel - Meunier, Hummels, Schlotterbeck, Bensebaini - Özcan, Nmecha - Malen, Brandt, Reus - Haller
Coach: Edin Terzic
San Diego: Vegas – Riley, Stoneman, Martin – Perez, Corona, Martin, Adams, Bodily – Moshobane, Conway
Coach: Nate Miller
Füllkrug off the mark in BVB win
The Germany striker opened his account for Dortmund as they beat an in-form Hoffenheim side in the Matchday 6 opener.
Play with your Bundesliga heroes on EA Sports FC 24
EA SPORTS FC 24's groundbreaking innovation will bring the game to life when you play as your favourite Bundesliga heroes.
5 reasons why Leipzig will beat Bayern
The 3-0 Supercup triumph and an astonishing efficiency in front of goal this campaign are just two of the reasons why Leipzig can get the better of the reigning Bundesliga champions.