Filip Kostic fired Eintracht Frankfurt to their first Bundesliga win of the season in a smash-and-grab 2-1 victory away to Bayern Munich.
Having put five past Frankfurt in each of their last three visits to the Allianz Arena, Bayern began as if determined to continue that trend. Robert Lewandowski had two chances inside the first three minutes, the first saved by Kevin Trapp before he headed over following Alphonso Davies’ purposeful run. Leroy Sane flashed a free-kick wide, while Thomas Müller, Leon Goretzka and Niklas Süle all went close in a one-side opening period. Bayern eventually got the lead their pressure deserved when Goretzka drilled in from the edge of the area, but Frankfurt hit back straight away through Martin Hinteregger, who thumped in a header from a corner. The game opened up after that and Almamy Toure and Serge Gnabry both spurned clear-cut chances to add to the scoreline, but the teams went in level at the break.
The frenetic nature of the game continued into the second half and Sane went close within seconds of the restart, but he blazed over on his weaker right foot. Rafael Borre threatened to run clean through on Neuer but was caught by Alphonso Davies, before Lewandowski had a close-range header brilliantly blocked by Trapp. There was a distinct sense that it was only a matter of time before the next goal, and the Frankfurt goalkeeper was called into action to keep out a rasping Sane volley before Neuer dashed off his line in typical sweeper-keeper fashion to prevent Jens Petter Hauge going one-on-one. In the end it was Frankfurt who scored again though, Kostic lashing in past Neuer late on to secure the visitors their first Bundesliga win of the season.
- Goretzka scored his first Bundesliga goal of the season. His last league goal arrived back in April against Leipzig.
- Hinteregger also netted for the first time in 2021/22 with Frankfurt’s first headed goal of the campaign.
- The Austrian has scored 11 of his 17 Bundesliga goals with his head and has found the net more often against Bayern (four times) than against any other team.
- Three of the seven goals Bayern have conceded in the Bundesliga this term have been headers. Hinteregger’s effort was the first time they have conceded via a set-piece under Nagelsmann.
- Kostic scored his second Bundesliga goal of the season. He has been directly involved in each of Frankfurt's last five goals (two scored, three assists).
- Lewandowski has gone two Bundesliga matches without a goal for the first time since November/December 2019.
Watch: Müller: "Frankfurt were extremely clinical"
Bayern: Neuer (c) - Süle (Sabitzer 75'), Upamecano, Hernandez, Davies - Kimmich, Goretzka - Gnabry (Musiala 70'), Müller, Sane (Choupo-Moting 81') - Lewandowski
Unused subs: Früchtl, Richards, Sarr, Roca, Nianzou, Stanisic
Out: Coman (heart operation), Pavard (suspended), Tolisso (calf), Ulreich (knee)
Coach: Julian Nagelsmann
Frankfurt: Trapp - Toure (Da Costa 61'), Tuta (Hrustic 84'), Hinteregger (c), Chandler - Ilsanker, Sow, Jakic, Kostic - Lindström (Hauge 61'), Borre (Lammers 77')
Unused subs: Ramaj, Kamada, Barkok, Ache, Paciencia
Out: Durm (concussion), Hasebe (unspecified) Lenz (thigh), N'Dicka (knee), Rode (knee), Younes (not included)
Coach: Oliver Glasner
Watch: Trapp: “It’s incredible that we won this game”