Matheus Cunha scored his first Bundesliga penalty, with Dodi Lukebakio and Krzysztof Piatek also on target as Hertha Berlin gave their season a timely boost with a 3-0 win at Augsburg.
It was a combative opening half an hour with chances at both ends, albeit with the defences on top. Andre Hahn tried to bypass the Hertha defence with a shot from near the halfway line, lifting his effort just over the crossbar as Alexander Schwolow tracked back anxiously. The Augsburg attacking midfielder found the back of the net on his side's next attack, but the offside flag cut short his celebrations. In the week Felix Uduokhai received his first call-up to the Germany squad, he had some bad news to deal with when he fouled Jhon Cordoba while attempting to make a clearance, giving away a penalty. Cunha converted from the spot to put the guests in front, as Cordoba was forced to limp away from the field.
Lukebakio doubled Hertha's lead five minutes into the second half, stealing in predatorily after Jeffrey Gouweleeuw touched Piatek's cross into his path and finishing with aplomb. Augsburg substitute Florian Niederlechner wasted a glorious opportunity to reduce the arrears with his first touch, placing his shot straight at Schwolow with only the Hertha goalkeeper to beat, and the hosts had to start taking some risks. They left the back door ajar, though, and a sweeping counter-attack from Hertha saw Cunha tee up Piatek, who stamped a shot against the right-hand post. Hertha continued to threaten on the break as Augsburg threw caution to the wind, and they put the result beyond any doubt when Piatek raced through all alone and sent a low shot into the far corner, opening his account for the season.
- Uduokhai became only the fourth Germany international to pull on an Augsburg shirt, after Uli Biesinger, Helmut Haller and Hahn.
- Having gone unbeaten in their first three games of the season, Augsburg have now lost three of their last four Bundesliga matches.
- Augsburg have now won only one of their last 12 fixtures against Hertha at home (W1, D5, L6).
- Matteo Guendouzi made his starting debut for Hertha.
- Cunha took and scored his first ever penalty in the Bundesliga, netting his 10th goal in 17 competitive appearances for Hertha.
- Three of Piatek's five Bundesliga goals have come as a substitute.
Watch: Piatek: "I'm a striker and I need goals"
Augsburg: Gikiewicz - Gumny, Gouweleeuw (c), Uduokhai, Iago - Caligiuri, Strobl (Khedira 76'), Gruezo (Richter 76'), Vargas (Oxford 77') - Gregoritsch (Niederlechner 60'), Hahn (Finnbogason 60')
Unused subs: Koubek, Pedersen, Götze, Suchy,
Out: Framberger (thigh), Moravek (muscular)
Coach: Heiko Herrlich
Hertha: Schwolow - Pekarik, Boyata (c) (Dardai 90'+1), Alderete, Plattenhardt - Darida (Löwen 88'), Stark, Guendouzi - Cunha (Leckie 90'+1) - Lukebakio (Ngankam 88'), Cordoba (Piatek 45'+2)
Unused subs: Jarstein, Dilrosun, Mittelstädt, Zeefuik
Out: Ascacibar (muscular), Tousart (knee), Torunarigha (not included)
Coach: Bruno Labbadia