Goals: 0-1 Sallai (7'), 0-2 Petersen (21'), 0-3 Frantz (51'), 1-3 Mehmedi (61')
Freiburg arrived with a surprise five-man defence, but it was certainly not a negative approach as they soaked up some early pressure and then struck when their first chance presented itself. Lukas Kübler exchanged passes with Marco Terrazzino before crossing for Roland Sallai to head in powerfully from close range. Another break saw Sallai fouled by Renato Steffen inside the penalty area and while Nils Petersen's penalty was saved, the German forward followed up to nod in the rebound.
Freiburg's efficiency extended into the second half with Luca Waldschmidt playing a quick ball into the path of Mike Frantz, who placed his shot past the onrushing Koen Casteels for his first goal in over three years. Admir Mehmedi almost marked his first start of the season with a goal when his volley was blocked behind for a corner, and he did not have to wait long to find the back of the net with a deflected effort going in from a tight angle, from Wout Weghorst's first assist in the Bundesliga. Freiburg stuck to their gameplan and frustrated the Wolves, holding on for their first win of the season, leaving Wolfsburg licking their wounds as their unbeaten start was ended.
- Sallai's goal came with his first possession of the ball in the Bundesliga.
- The Hungarian became the first foreigner to play for Freiburg this season, and the first Hungarian ever to represent the Black Forest club.
- Petersen scored past Wolfsburg for the first time in his career – Leipzig are now the only top-flight club he has yet to score against.
- He missed a penalty as he had done in the DFB Cup against Energie Cottbus. Now like then, he headed in the rebound.
- Frantz's goal was his first in over three years and a run of more than 4,000 minutes (since April 2015).
- The last time Freiburg led 3-0 after 50 minutes was in September 2009, when they led Hertha Berlin 3-0 after only 42 minutes.
- Woughorst's assist was his first in the Bundesliga.
Wolfsburg: Casteels (c) – William, Knoche, Brooks, Roussillon – Arnold (Malli 84'), Camacho, Gerhardt (Brekalo 68') – Steffen (Ginczek 46'), Weghorst, Mehmedi
Unused subs: Pervan, Verhaegh, Uduokhai, Rexhbecaj
Absentees: Azzaoui (knee), Klaus (pubic bone), Guilavogui (cruciate ligament)
Coach: Bruno Labbadia
Freiburg: Schwolow – Kübler, Gulde, Koch, Heintz, Günter – Frantz (c) (Lienhart 67'), Höfler – Sallai (Waldschmidt 41') – Terrazzino (Niederlechner 75'), Petersen
Unused subs: Flekken, Kammerbauer, Ravet, Okoroji
Absentees: Stenzel (suspended), Kleindienst (ankle), Borrello (cruciate ligament)
Coach: Christian Streich