Sent off: Moravek (54'), Uduokhai (86')
The first half was a cautious affair, with neither side willing to risk too much on a slippery surface in the driving rain at the Volkswagen Arena. Chances were at a premium as most of the play was congested in a crowded midfield, meaning a headed effort from Nany Dimata that was well saved by Marvin Hitz was among the few highlights of the first 45 minutes.
The complexion of the match changed early in the second half when Augsburg midfielder Jan Moravek was sent off for a second bookable offence. Nevertheless, it was the visitors who almost broke the deadlock when Marco Richter's delicate lob over Koen Casteels came back off the crossbar. Paul Jaeckel rattled the woodwork at the other end moments later, before unmarked substitute Divock Origi put a free header wide of the post. Paul Verhaegh had a shot deflected over late on as the Wolves pushed for a winner, but ultimately a draw was a fair result overall.
- Neither Wolfsburg nor Augsburg have ever been relegated from the Bundesliga. The Wolves were promoted in 1997, with Augsburg joining them in the top flight in 2011.
- Daniel Didavi is Wolfsburg's most potent attacking force this season, with his brace against Freiburg last Saturday lifting his tally to eight goals alongside his five assists.
- Bruno Labbadia's side have kept a third consecutive clean sheet, setting a new club record.
- Augsburg won on their last two visits to the Volkswagen Arena with an aggregate score of 4-1. Their last defeat in Wolfsburg came back in October 2014.
- Philipp Max's 12 assists in the Bundesliga this season are a league high. Bayern pair James Rodriguez and Joshua Kimmich are his nearest challengers with 10 apiece.
- Augsburg quartet Caiuby, Ja-Cheol Koo, Daniel Baier and Marwin Hitz used to play for Wolfsburg. Wolves vice-captain Paul Verhaegh made the opposite journey last summer.
Wolfsburg: Casteels – Verhaegh (c), Knoche, Uduokhai, William (Steffen 84') – Bazoer (Origi 61'), Arnold, Jaeckel – Didavi, Dimata (Osimhen 80'), Malli
Unused substitutes: Grün, Brekalo, Tisserand, Rexhbecaj
Absentees: Brooks (fitness), Guilavogui (muscular problems), Jung (calf), Itter (thigh), Gerhardt (ankle), Blaszczykowski (back), Mehmedi (foot), Camacho (muscular problems)
Coach: Bruno Labbadia
Augsburg: Hitz – Schmid, Gouweleeuw (c), Hinteregger, Max – Khedira, Moravek – Koo, Gregoritsch, Caiuby - Cordova (Richter 46', Kacar 90+3')
Unused substitutes: Luthe, Parker, Janker, Asta, Malone
Absentees: Opare (not considered), Framberger (ankle), Jakob (knee), Danso (ankle), Finnbogason (fitness), Heller (adductor), Baier (tinnitus)
Coach: Manuel Baum
Watch: Origi laments missed chances