The scoreline might suggest this was a dour draw between two cautious teams but the first half was anything but. Both sides looked to get forward as often and as quickly as possible, only for attacks to peter out at either end against well-drilled back lines. The best chance of the first 45 minutes fell to Rani Khedira, who powered into the box shortly before the interval and forced a smart save from Ron-Robert Zieler.
The match followed a similar pattern in the second half and there were one or two more openings as the game progressed, with Alfred Finbogasson and Caiuby trying their luck from distance for the visitors. However, neither side could ultimately find the desired breakthrough, leaving each with a deserved point.
Man of the match
Khedira excelled in central midfield for the visitors, his positioning providing excellent cover for the three-man back line, while he was also tidy in possession and good going forward.
- This was the first ever draw in this fixture.
- Augsburg have not won any of their last 11 games against a newly-promoted side, losing six times and drawing five.
- Stuttgart are unbeaten at home in 20178 (nine wins, three draws).
- Daniel Ginzcek made his first appearance in the Bundesliga since 26 September 2015 in a 3-1 defeat to Gladbach.
- Augsburg's Finnbogason captained the team for the first time ever in this game.
Stuttgart: Zieler – Beck (Asano 84'), Pavard, Badstuber, Aogo – Baumgartl, Ascacibar – Kaminski, Donis (Ginzcek 71'), Brekalo (Mangala 64'), Terodde (c)
Coach: Hannes Wolf
Augsburg: Hitz – Opare, Gouweleeuw, Hinteregger, Max – Kacar, Khedira – Heller, Koo (Moravek 30'), Caiuby (Gregoritsch 71') – Finnbogason (c) (Corova 87')
Coach: Manuel Baum