Bayern Munich hold the advantage going into the return fixture of their UEFA Champions League quarter-final tie with Sevilla after earning a 2-1 victory in the first leg in Spain on Tuesday evening.
Sevilla 1-2 Bayern Munich
Goals: 1-0 Saraba (32'), 1-1 Navas (o.g. 37'), 1-2 Thiago (68')
Jupp Heynckes' men looked a yard off the pace for much of the first half and were unusually sloppy in possession as the hosts went on the front foot early on. Pablo Sarabia had the first chance of the game but blazed wide with just Sven Ulreich to beat, but the attacker made amends in the 32nd minute, beating Juan Bernat to a left-wing cross at the back post to open the scoring. Their lead was short-lived, though, as James Rodriguez – on for the injured Arturo Vidal – found Franck Ribery on the left and the Frenchman's attempted cross was deflected in by Jesus Navas.
The Bundesliga leaders restored some of their customary swagger in the second half and showed much greater incision going forward. Javi Martinez's volley drew a fine save from David Soria shortly before Thiago deservedly put Bayern in front with a diving header from Ribery's cross. The hosts pushed for an equaliser later on but Bayern held firm to take the advantage into the second leg in Munich on Wednesday next week.
Watch: James eyes Champions League success
- This is Bayern's 17th quarter-final – more than any other club.
- Heynckes has reached the final of this competition every season he has coached in it (1998, 2012, 2013).
- Lewandowski (26 goals) leads the Bundesliga scoring charts with more than twice the number of goals of his closest pursuer.
- James has scored three goals in six Bundesliga games this calendar year.
- Bayern had 58 per cent of possession overall and completed 509 passes to Sevilla's 353.
- Sevilla collectively covered 72.08 miles in this game; Bayern just 69.35.
Sevilla: Soria – Navas, Kjaer, Lenglet, Escudero (c) – N'Zonzi, Pizarro – Sarabia, Vazquez, Correa (Ramirez 78') – Ben Yedder (Muriel, 80')
Unused subs: Rico, Geis, Pareja, Nolito, Arana
Absentees: Corchia (groin), Banega (suspended)
Coach: Vincenzo Montella
Bayern: Ulreich – Kimmich, Hummels, Boateng, Bernat (Rafinha HT) – Martinez, Vidal (James 36')– Thiago, Müller (c), Ribery (Robben 79') – Lewandowski
Unused subs: Starke, Wagner, Süle, Rudy
Absentees: Neuer (light training), Coman (ankle), Alaba (back)
Coach: Jupp Heynckes