RB Leipzig's European hopes enjoyed a timely lift ahead of the final round of Bundesliga matches after an Ademola Lookman brace and further strikes from Timo Werner and Jean-Kevin Augustin helped the hosts put relegation-threatened Wolfsburg to the sword.
Goals: 1-0 Lookman (24''), 2-0 Werner (34'), 2-1 Didavi (47'), 3-1 Lookman (52') 4-1 Augustin (63')
Both sides struggling for form of late, it was Wolfsburg who began with more urgency, Divock Origi and Josip Brekalo attempting to break the deadlock. Leipzig hadn't won any of their previous five competitive games, and sensing their dream of European qualification beginning to slip, Ralph Hasenhüttl's men suddenly jumped to life. Some fine Augustin work on the flank finished with a cutback that Robin Knoche misjudged, to the delight of the lurking Lookman who seized his chance. The hosts quickly went in search of more, and after Augustin had an effort ruled out for offside, Werner turned up to send a shot into the corner for 2-0.
Sitting in the relegation play-off spot and eyeing a third successive Bundesliga loss, the Wolves rallied to give themselves a chance soon after the restart, Daniel Didavi applying a left-footed finish from inside the area to reduce the arrears. Yet Wolfsburg's good work was then undone when Werner was allowed to pounce on Felix Uduokhai's poorly hit back pass before teeing up Lookman for his second. If that was a hammer blow for the side from Lower Saxony, it was game over soon after the hour mark when Augustin capped a solid showing with a slick finish for 4-1. Origi kept the faith as the game progressed, the Liverpool loanee drawing a save from Peter Gulacsi, but by then the writing was on the wall.
Leipzig: Gulacsi – Bernardo (Laimer 69'), Konaté, Upamecano, Klostermann – Kaiser (c) (Schmitz 89'), Demme, Kampl, Lookman – Augustin (Poulsen 67'), Werner
Unused subs: Mvogo, Ilsanker, Stierlin, Bruma
Absentees: Laimer (thigh), Orban (suspended), Halstenberg (knee), Keita (suspended), Sabitzer (shoulder), Forsberg (suspended)
Coach: Ralph Hasenhüttl
Wolfsburg: Casteels – Uduokhai, Knoche (Dimata 46'), Bruma, William – Guilavogui, Didavi (Rexhbecaj 68'), Arnold (c) – Steffen, Origi, Brekalo (Malli 78')
Unused subs: Grün, Brooks, Gerhardt, Blaszczykowski
Absentees: Verhaegh (suspended), Jaeckel (knee), Tisserand (thigh), Itter (thigh), Camacho (match fitness), Mehmedi (foot)
Coach: Bruno Labbadia
- Lookman has scored four goals in ten games for Leipzig, and was on target for the first time at the Red Bull Arena.
- Werner's last goal prior to this encounter came exactly one calendar month before in his team's last victory, a 1-0 win against Marseille.
- Augustin found the target for the first time in the Bundesliga in two months, the Frenchman previously scoring against Borussia Dortmund on Matchday 25.
- Leipzig's win ended a run of five competitive games without victory.
- The hosts were without three first-choice players: Forsberg, Keita and Orban, who were all suspended.
- Leipzig are now in sixth place going into the last round of games. Wolfsburg are third from bottom.