Centre back Willi Orban is suspended for Leipzig after his late red card in the 1-0 home win over Bayer Leverkusen on Matchday 28. Marcel Halstenberg could get back in at left-back in a reshuffled defence after missing the last match.
Freiburg are still without midfielder Maximilian Philipp and one of their chief creative outlets, Vincenzo Grifo, picked up a knee injury in their 1-0 win over Mainz. Holding midfielder Nicolas Höfler is over a knee problem and stands a good chance of starting.
Leipzig: Gulacsi - Bernardo, Upamecano, Compper, Halstenberg - Sabitzer, Keita, Demme, Forsberg - Werner, Poulsen
Coach: Ralph Hasenhüttl
Abstentees: Klostermann (arthroscopy), Orban (suspended)
Freiburg: Schwolow - Kübler, Söyüncü, Kempf, Ignjovski - Frantz, Schuster, Abrashi, Guede - Haberer, Niederlechner
Coach: Christian Streich
Absentees: Grifo (knee), Torrejon (adductor), Philipp (thigh), Gulde (muscle).
Watch: Learn all about Leipzig's assist king Emil Forsberg
- For just the second time in Bundesliga history, two promoted sides sit in the top third of the table after 28 matchdays. The last time that happened was in 1972/73 when Wuppertaler SV were second and Offenbacher Kickers were sixth.
- Leipzig have won their last two home games without conceding a goal and could now keep three clean sheets in a row at the Red Bull Arena for the first time in their short Bundesliga hstory.
- Timo Werner has scored more Bundesliga goals against Freiburg (five in five games) than against any other team. However, all of them have come in Freiburg.
- Freiburg have won two Bundesliga games in a row for the first time in nearly half a year.
- Christian Streich’s side have lost just one of their eight away games since the beginning of December. No team has recorded fewer away losses in this time.
- Leipzig and Freiburg substitutes have scored more goals than for any other club (nine each). On Matchday 28 each side won 1-0 thanks to a goal by a substitute. Nils Petersen’s 18th goal from the bench equalled the all-time record held by Alexander Zickler.